Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 17, 2004, 7:25 PM   #1

Default 300D and sports mode

The other day I put the camera into sports mode and the lens would focus but I wasn't getting any of my focus points to turn red. Is this supposed to happen?

I know I should be looking this up in the manual but I would appreciate a break on this one. And if you're up to giving me a break, I'll ask one more question.

Is it easy to change the camera over to the single focus point mode?
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2004, 7:39 PM   #2

I don't use sports mode so I'm not sure about the issue you bring up, but yes, it's very easy to change your focus points...as simple as pressing a button (AF point/Enlarge button) then turning the main dial.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2004, 7:51 PM   #3
NHL

Default Re: 300D and sports mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKchopper
The other day I put the camera into sports mode and the lens would focus but I wasn't getting any of my focus points to turn red. Is this supposed to happen?
In the Basic Zone - Sport mode, the camera is on AI servo: No AF indicator in the AI servo mode (even on the 10D!)

... Check the Function Availability Table on page 122 of your manual. 8)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2004, 8:31 PM   #4

It is normal. No red leds in sport mode. :P
digiteye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 2:43 PM   #5

You don't have to go to full "Manual" but you may need to use the "creative" modes if the "basic" modes arn't working for you.

FIrst up, I don't know why it won't focus in "sports" but you shoudl know that "sports" is the only one of the "Basic" modes that uses the "servo" focus option. That means that instead of looking, focusing, then hooding the setting until you shoot, the camrera will continue to focus following the subject until you shoot.

I've yet to play with this aspect in anger. But sitting here with the camera in "sports" mode aiming it around the room, it focuses just fine. But, as you say, the focus points do not light up. I guess it's a factor of servo-AI focus but no doub someone will be along in a moment to explain why.

If you want to select the focus point, you will have to use a "creative" mode, the feature is disabled in "basic". Rather than full manual, I would suggest you want to use Shutter Priority. This means you can set a fast shutter speed, to freeze action, the camera will adjust exposure by adjusting the aperture - so long as you stay within the range of the lens. But it leaves you to set a shutter speed which doesn't put you beyond what the lens can do, or to manually slow the shutter down if the light isn't good enough...

If you're in a creative mode, you can switch from "full auto" focus using all seven points, to a single-point mode, and choose which point to use - you press the AF button (right thumb button) then roll the main dial whilst looking through the viewfinder, you'll see each point light in turn - and the chosen point will stay lit to remind you you've done this.

What I'm not sure about - where the heck is my manual - is how you turn on Servo focus mode in "creative"...
ccomley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 3:15 PM   #6

I've had good luck shoting in Av mode, which will switch to AI servo if camera detects movement and single focus point...
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2004, 9:38 PM   #7

Mr. Saginaw's got the right answer. If the DRebel can sense movement it jumps into AF servo mode. That is the best way rather than shifting into something like sports mode where you have no say in any part of the image making process (assuming you do want a say).
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote