Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 19, 2004, 7:47 PM   #1

Default new rebel

i am seriously considering purchasing the digital rebel. i don't want to buy this digi-slr and a new model comes out next month. do you think there is a new model around the corner or is this model going to be around for a while? thanks.
lodingi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2004, 8:36 PM   #2

Eventually, the DRebel will be replaced...but not next month. In all aspects of electronics, things are quickly replaced by newer technology, but that doesn't diminish the quality of the original. The DRebel is a great camera. If you buy one and a new one comes out 6 months later, you will have been taking pictures with a fine camera for 6 months and it will continue to be a fine camera for years afterwards...just not the latest and greatest.

Prior to going to a DRebel, I used the same Nikon SLR for 15 years, despite newer technology and advancements, and it took wonderful pictures.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 8:53 PM   #3

great answer. thanks for the help.
lodingi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 9:18 PM   #4

I have a 10D. I see myself (eventually) upgrading the 10D body, but not my lens set! Lenses are a very important part of getting good pictures (as is the body, as is your technique, as is the subject as is..... you get the drift :-)). But lens technology evolves at a much slower pace than body technology. Buy a Digital Rebel and enjoy it. Don't look back. It is like buying a computer, the moment you walk out the store with it it is obsolete. Does that mean it is a bad product? Not at all! Build up your lenses arsenal over time, knowing you can keep using them for a long time to come.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 9:50 PM   #5

i have a question about lenses.......
would 35mm compatible lenses work on dSLR's? cuz my dad has some good lenses.....just wondering if they'd work if i got a dSLR......thanks
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 10:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by photosbyvito
i have a question about lenses.......
would 35mm compatible lenses work on dSLR's? cuz my dad has some good lenses.....just wondering if they'd work if i got a dSLR......thanks
Depends on the lens mount, if your dads slr is a canon, with an EF mount the lens should work on a D-Rebel, 10D, 1D(mII) and 1DS.

The same goes for nikon lenses, if they use the same mount they should work.

In the real world it's al little bit more difficult. There are some lenses wich wont work, Some older Sigma lenses with EF mount that don't work on newer canon D-SLRs, for example.
Marc H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2004, 10:58 PM   #7

ahhh thanks i got it
my dad's camera was a minolta though so i wouldn't be able to use it on a canon.......unless they happen to have the same mount (that would be nice )

also.......someone in this forum(can't remember >_< )had a sigma lens with a Canon.......i guess they had the same mount?

is the mount the only thing that has to be compatible?

thanks
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 10:13 PM   #8

Default Re: new rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lodingi
i am seriously considering purchasing the digital rebel. i don't want to buy this digi-slr and a new model comes out next month. do you think there is a new model around the corner or is this model going to be around for a while? thanks.
I was the same way and worried about the D70 which is soon to be out and is the rebels most direct competition. I about researched it to death and made numerous posting on this site. However I just went for it knowing that I will be able to use it for a long time to come and will upgrade the body when needed. Think of it as buying into a system not just an individual camera.
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2004, 4:11 PM   #9

I have Sigma, Tamron, and Canon lenses with the EF mount, so they can only be used on Canon EOS bodies.

[RUMOR]
I have heard rumor that someone is talking about making lenses with a seperate detachable mount, so you could buy one lense and as many mounts as you have camera systems to use it on.
would be nice
[/RUMOR]

Quote:
Originally Posted by photosbyvito
also.......someone in this forum(can't remember >_< )had a sigma lens with a Canon.......i guess they had the same mount?

is the mount the only thing that has to be compatible?

thanks
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2004, 5:28 PM   #10

Quote:
[RUMOR]
I have heard rumor that someone is talking about making lenses with a seperate detachable mount, so you could buy one lense and as many mounts as you have camera systems to use it on.
would be nice
[/RUMOR]
They did that years ago. It was called T-mounts.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote