Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 23, 2013, 2:46 PM   #1

Default Advice on the 40d please

I have the Panasonic fz35 bridge camera but am thinking of buying the 40d so I need advice please.
It is a second hand setup with a kit lens, a sigma long lens, a tripod and a bag - photo attached.
What would be a good realistic price to pay for it and am I making a good move?
Thanks in advance
E.
Attached Images

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2013, 4:14 PM   #2

G'day Eysha

Try 100 quid for starters - but if this is coming from a friend, see if you can 'try before you buy' and use it for a week first

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2013, 5:00 PM   #3

Hi Phil, 100, wow.
she actually wants 500 for it all and I thought it too much so wanted advice. You have just confirmed my thoughts.

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) Canon 60D +18-55mm lens+ 70-300mm lens.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 6:33 PM   #4

The London Camera Exchange has several used Canon 40Ds listed for prices ranging from 180 to 300, and the 18-55 kit lens from 40 to 120.

The Sigma, tripod and bag could be good or they could be worthless, so I wouldn't give those much weight, but if she's a friend I'd give her the benefit of the doubt on the camera and kit lens, and offer her 400, if you're sure this is what you want.

The 40D is a nice camera and the kit lens is a good all-around lens, so the package isn't bad. What matters is: will it do what you want? So what do you want to shoot?

Last edited by TCav; Oct 23, 2013 at 6:36 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2013, 6:50 PM   #5

The 40D's a very fine camera- and I see it has the 17-85 IS lens as opposed to the "budget" 18-55mm lens- better range and better built...
I'm guessing the Sigma lens is a 70-300 DC lens... an "ok" lens in good light- though not expensive and can be purchased new for around a 100...
I can't make the tripod out... but looks decent- and that can set you back a few quid...!
And a couple of CF cards and a Lowepro bag...
Not a bad bit of kit....

Do you know the camera's shutter count...? Has it had heavy use...?
Many 40D's were bought on the strength of their burst speed- and as such,many have rattled up quite some "mileage"..!
If it's in good nick and has had low usage,it might be worth a punt... and I LIKE 40D's...!

Many IF's- but IF it's a decent tripod,IF the camera's shutter hasn't been to the moon and back,IF the 17-85 lens is functioning fine- and the Sigma also... I think an offer of around 400 would be closer to the mark... but of course,start at 350....
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2013, 8:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
... I see it has the 17-85 IS lens as opposed to the "budget" 18-55mm lens- better range and better built ...
Good catch!

But I wouldn't give the 17-85 much weight over the 18-55 as, in many respects, it's not as good.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 6:34 AM   #7

Thanks for this help. I will ask her the questions and get back to you both on this. She isn't a friend as such, i sometimes chat with her online as we do the same UNi course for our degrees so I don't know her. She did say she had paid 150 for the tripod so I will get its name but it seems the most important thing is the use of the camera's shutter count so many thanks for that info as I wouldn't have known about that. She also has the 400d which she says she bought as a back up and I know nothing of that camera other than she will sell that cheaper than the 40d. I like to shoot macro and wildlife in motion so what else would I need to buy to do that and at what extra cost will it be?

Old Oct 24, 2013, 5:39 PM   #8

Going to find out the camera count tomorrow when she updates the firmwear. The tripod is a Velbon e1 530 if that makes any difference.

Old Oct 24, 2013, 7:42 PM   #9

My aluminium Velbon VS-3 is almost 40 years old. It's not a great tripod, but I can't break it to justify getting a better one.

What I will say is that, in cold weather, you'll need gloves to handle it, or the skin on your hand will stick to it, and you'll have to bring it indoors and wait for it to warm up before you can let go of it.
Old Oct 25, 2013, 3:41 AM   #10

may i ask what are you going to use the camera for
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote