Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 21, 2004, 11:18 PM   #1

Default Digital Rebel

I just ordered my digital rebel tonight. I can't wait for it to come in. My question is... I take a lot of interior shots for brochures. I went to a local camera store tonight to check on some wide angle lenses and was surprised that the salesman was very critical of the lens that is being sold with the Rebel. He said it was a very cheap lens and he thought I would be very disappointed with it once I started using it. He was critical of the color saturation and the sharpness of the lens. Just curious what you guys think of the whole package including the 18-55mm lens. Is the 18-55mm lens a fairly wide angle? I was considering a 15mm or 14mm lens but was wondering if it would really be much wider than the 18mm that comes with it. I wish there were models for me to actually see it for myself but they are all sold out in my area.
Thanks for your help in this.
Nancy
nanllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 22, 2004, 12:10 AM   #2

I would have to say that you obviously didnít order the camera from the store with the critical sales person.

For the price of one hundred additional dollars there is no way you can beat this lens. I am by no means an expert but I researched this purchase until I was blue in the face.

As far as the lens is concerned, remember you have a 1.6x (FOV crop) factor to deal with. Currently the kit lens is the only 300D (Canon Digital Rebel) specific lens (EF-S mount) and I unfortunately cannot remember if the same 1.6x factor affects it as it affects other canon EF mount lenses. Specifically you have to multiple the lensí focal length by 1.6 to get the true 35mm equivalent. So the 15mm lens would actually be a 24mm equivalent.

Take a look around this site and you'll gain a lot of info.

good luck
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2004, 12:27 AM   #3

taken from a review i just found:

The Lens: EF-S 18-55/3.5-5.6 USM
Strangely enough, the main selling point of the Canon Rebel 300D for me was the availability of the camera with a 18-55mm zoom lens. In turns out that my enthusiasm was justified. The EF-S 18-55mm zoom is a wolf in sheepís clothing. The lens has amazing optical performance for the price. Its minimum focus distance is about 4 inches. Stopped down to F8, it is as sharp as my 50mm F1.4 USM lens. Plus the 300D and lens together weighs less than the Canon 10D body alone! The impressive optical performance of the lens is made possible by the fact that it is only designed to cover the 300Dís sensor rather than a 35mm frame. Note that due to the small sensor in the 300D, at 18mm this lens gives a field of view the same as you would get with a 29mm lens on a full frame 35mm camera.

Although the lens has many good qualities, do not expect to much from a $100 lens. The lens is definitely very cheaply constructed and has a small maximum aperture. The focus ring is extremely narrow to discourage users from focusing manually. The lens definitely suffers from barrel distortion at the wide setting, although in the digital world this isnít a huge problem since it can be corrected post-exposure.

Canon has indicated that the 18-55mm will probably be the only EF-S lens they ever make. I believe this is indicative of Canonís desire to stick with the 35mm format. Canon already has a full-frame SLR, but is it priced beyond the reach of amateur photographers. However, when you consider that the Canon first consumer digital SLR cost $3500 not long ago, it isnít hard to image that full frame SLRís may be affordably priced in just a couple of years. Based on this, the EF-S 18-55mm zoom lens doesnít need to be perfect. Instead, this lens is an interim solution until full-frame 35mm SLR cameras become affordable.

and here is the link:

http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon...0d_review.html
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2004, 12:56 AM   #4

Default Thanks for the input

You are right I did not buy it from the critical salesman. In fact I told him he was the only one that I had heard complain about the lens. He actually seems surprised that he was the only one. I told him I have researched this for a few months and read many forums that gave great reviews on it. He said he knew about lenses because he works there and tries every lense out and the Canon was the worst. He said it was awful and a shame Canon even offered this lens. I told him I did not agree and that I knew it wasn't a high end lens but that it was a good lens and Canon was trying to keep the Rebel under the $1,000 price. He kept comparing it to the new Nikon SLR coming out and that Nikon would beat Canon hands down. Anyway, I don't mean to go on and on but I was just dumbfounded that a salesman would be so critical of something that they sell and that everyone raves about. I will not go back to that location for my purchases. I am going to check into B&H Photo that this forum has suggested.
Thanks again.
Thanks again for your help.
nanllyn is offline   Reply With Quote