Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 28, 2004, 1:18 AM   #11

Amy:
You will LOVE that 28-135IS! It stays on my DRebel 85% of the time - the rest of the time I may be using my 20-35. The 20-35mm is what I use on my EOS-3 Film camera (with Provia 100F) 90% of the time, so when the 20-35 goes on the 300D, then I put the 28-135 on the EOS-3. The Elan 7 usually gets the 50mm & the 75-300 stays mostly in the case - until I get a chance to use it.
Welcome to the "group".
Also pay a LOT of attention to what Eric S. & NHL have to say.
David
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2004, 7:36 AM   #12

Welcome here, amytude. The 28-135 IS is great. I have got it, the IS works very well - I can expose 1/30 - 1/15 at 135 (216 equ.) mm withouth any blur. And it is sharp, has good contrast, draws well. I want to buy the cheap but good 50 mm 1.8 for the scenes with dim light.
digiteye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2004, 5:04 PM   #13

Thanks everyone! I have been battling migraines, so I haven't had much time to practice with it. Hopefully, tomorrow will be migraine-free and it's supposed to be nice here. Maybe I'll get to get outside and take some pics.

Also, I signed up for photography II (been taking part I of the class)! We get to go to different places (rock 'n roll hall of fame, zoo, etc.) to shoot. I'm the only one in the class with a digital, but that'll be ok, esp. since it's also an slr. What little I have played around with it, I love! Shutter lag is much less than the A80, which is good for pics with my active kids. I can't wait to learn more and maybe even post here! Thanks!

Amy
amytude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2004, 8:02 AM   #14

I have been looking at the 28-135 IS lens also.
I would love a fast f2.8 lens but I think I would like the IS feature of this lens and other f-stops. Do I unerstand this correctly.
IS says it lets you take hand held shots at 2 f-stops above what you would normally be able to take. So I should be able to take shots hand held that I would be able to take at f 1.8? is that two f-stops difference . Also It seems IS would be nice when you want and f8 shot without a tripod?. Is this lense really heavy? The specs make it look heavy.

PS I really enjoy this site. Hopefully I'll be able to post some drebel pics soon. I'm still learning .

Blaine
iblaineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2004, 9:02 AM   #15

Blaine,
Well, I'm still learning, so I can't answer a whole lot of your questions. Yes, though, IMHO the lens is a bit heavy. All I know is I don't have the time to set up my tripod when I'm grabbing my camera for a pic of my kids. That's why I wanted IS. I'm sure that others here will be able to explain exact specifications/features. Good luck!

Amy
Old Feb 29, 2004, 10:29 AM   #16

It's cool to sense the excitement in a new DSLR owner's words. I recommend the most inexpensive Canon "L" lens available (70-200 F4) and a monopod. With the kit lens you have a whole pile of area covered. I would also "highly" and "strongly" recommend a Sigma EF 500 DG Super external flash.

Happy hunting!
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2004, 1:10 PM   #17

The only big difference between IS and having a faster lens is that IS stops only camera motion. It helps reduce the effects of your movement. It does nothing to stop the subjects movement. The only thing there is supper glue or a faster shutter speed (which, at times, you can only get with a fast wide open lens or a flash.)

IS is great, I use it all the time. But when sharpness really, really matters a tripod can't be beat. But when its more important to just get the picture, then IS is great because it often makes it possible to get the picture (and then it makes it less fuzzy.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2004, 1:17 PM   #18

RIGHT! What Eric said...lol

Amy