Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 24, 2004, 4:00 PM   #1

Default Just ordered the digital rebel...

I am so excited for it to get here. I paid an extra $12 for 2 day delivery. Oooohhh, I get to post in the dSLR forums now...lol! I ordered the 28-135 IS lens. Anyone here use that much? Right now, I really don't need many lenses. I'm hoping this will be a good all-purpose lens (although I do want a prime lens). Thanks!

Amy
Is it Thursday, yet? I want my DR!
amytude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2004, 4:46 PM   #2

Default Just think!

If you had ordered it Friday, you'd have it in yer grubby little paws right now! Oh, get the 50mm/f1.8 prime...
Old Feb 24, 2004, 5:15 PM   #3

Does this mean we have to teach her the secret handshake?

I use the 28-135 some, although not a lot. Most of what I do is with subjects further away (nature pictures) so the 100-400L is what I us 90% of the time.

I find its weight to be nice, and the sharpness is fairly good for what I used it for. There are times that I wish it was faster (larger aperture) but that isn't a death blow.

And the IS can be handy.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 8:03 PM   #4

Yeah I have both the (Inexpensive end) of the IS series. I could not go back to not having IS. I just picked up the 28-135 IS and like it so far. I like the internal focus (seems twice as fast as the 75-300) in the focusing end of it. I will probably use this most of the time vs my 75-300. I do nature as well, but like insects and smaller animals. But I figured I better get the duo of lenses... :lol:

If you havent used IS and have used a zoom lens before without IS then you will really enjoy it with it. Expecially if you dont like the tripod. If you plan to use a tripod, maybe could have saved a few bucks.
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 8:39 PM   #5

Welcome to the dSLR world, Amy. Lots of Rebel and 10D owners here, so I'm sure someone will have the answer for any questions you may have in the next few weeks as you acquaint yourself with your camera.

Looking forward to your first pictures!
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 9:21 PM   #6

Thanks, everyone. Well, I hate lugging around a tripod, so that is my major reason for wanting the IS (also for travel). Yes, Kalypso, that's the prime lens I want. No one carries them anymore (in stock, anyway). I guess not a lot of folks use prime lenses??? Well, anyway, I'm looking forward to checking it out.

Amy
Old Feb 24, 2004, 10:01 PM   #7

I have 2 primes, Amy. 50 1.8 and 100 2.8 Macro

Check www.samys.com for the 50mm 1.8 lens.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 10:16 PM   #8

Ohenry--thx..actually almost ordered from them last night. They didn't have the other lens I wanted and I just wanted to pay for it all together. They were the nicest of the bunch! Very helpful and friendly. Now, I have to wait until mid-March (gonna use my b-day money) to get the prime.

Amy

BTW, I am having trouble posting a pic under bcoultry's weekly challenge, can you help?
Old Feb 24, 2004, 10:56 PM   #9

I can help with that if you want. Do you have a site that you can upload the picture to?

I have the 50 f1.8 as well. Looks cheap but works well. And its so light and sharp to boot. I don't use it often, but when you need f1.8, there aren't many choices!

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2004, 2:21 PM   #10

From what I hear teh 28-135 IS is a fabby lens. I blew my toy budget mostly on the camera itself so I browsed Ebay and came up with a (no longer available) 35-135 metal-mount (non-IS) lens which I'm now using as my "standard" lens. I keep the 18-55 in the bag - it weights almost nothing - so if I ever do find a situation where 35mm isn't wide enough, it's handy.

I also picked up a Sigmal 135-400 cheap. But that's probably going to have to live on a tripod or at least a monopod at longer lengths, so when I'm a rich boy I plan to replace it with an "IS" Canon lens. It'll do for teh willdlife until the lottery comes up tho.
ccomley is offline   Reply With Quote