Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 26, 2004, 12:42 PM   #11

Default PLate?

An electric outlet plate is a vague discription. Most plates today are plastic. The outlet plate mounting plate screw would be an acceptable ground, but only in newer homes that are wired properly with a ground attached. One should at least have an understanding before sticking hands into the innards of a computer. It certainly isn't difficult as Ohenry pointed out but a little knowledge can't hurt.
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2004, 4:12 PM   #12

USB isn't a problem if you're not in a hurry.

I have a card reader now - and since I was buying one and I have USB-2 ports on the box I bought a USB-2 reader.

BUT

The main reason I bought it is this:-

The Canon XP drivers for the D300 don't have it appear as a virtual drive. As such, the download-and-catalogue software I prefer to use (Casio's "PhotoLoader" that came with my Casio 3500+ and is brilliant) doesn't kick in when I plug in the camera. But if I slot the card into the reader - bong - J: drive appears - and PhotoLoader starts importing the files.

I guess it depends - are you the sort of person who's going to grab the camera to rush out to shoot something, then realise you've left it full, and you have no spare CF card? Or are you the sort of person who on returning from a shoot downloads the pix at once so the camera is stored empty (and, incidentally, charge the battery so the battery is stored full) so it's ready to roll? If the latter, USB1.1 s probably fine. COme in, plug in camera, start download, go make a meal, pour beer, watch telly, read emails... doesn't matter how long the download takes. IF you're of the former disposition, I recommend buying more CF cards, and if you often find them ALL full, get a card reader.
ccomley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2004, 8:47 PM   #13

Thanks everyone! I actually took it to the computer ppl I go to and they put in the usb 2's today. I also did buy a card reader a week ago (I have yet to use it). I haven't even had time to try out anything with it, but the usb 1.1 was really just too slow for me. I also have yet to install anything related to my 300D. We'll see how that goes tomorrow.

Take Care,
Amy
amytude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2004, 9:01 PM   #14

just to echo everyone, yea transferring straight from the camera is slow.

I plan on getting a fire wire card reader but until I do, I just hook the camera up, start the process and walk away for a little while and get something else done.
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2004, 7:29 PM   #15

Card reader the best way to download, but note you should not delete pics using your computer as files will not be deleted properly always use camera to format card.
Just upgraded to windows XP - now possible to view pics as thumnails much faster. It is also possible to delete and rotate images while viewing as a slideshow v.good.
dredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2004, 9:35 AM   #16

I have XP-Pro and use a card reader and download to "IrfanView". Along time ago (and ignorant) I used the Canon software/camera download.....................what a joke!!!!!!!! That procedure really sucks and takes forever.

With IrfanView, you can delete selected images on the card and perform many principal tasks very simply. Pictures load fast into the thumnail viewer and it still maintains the Canon format on the card. However, I always re-format the card upon re-installing in camera. Don't format in the computer/Windows, the camera doesn't know who you are. Why?.......................it's a Canon thing.
Gary Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2004, 4:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredd
Card reader the best way to download, but note you should not delete pics using your computer as files will not be deleted properly always use camera to format card..
In what way "not deleted properly"? I have *never* done a "format card" (or microdrive) just to delete the pix taken. Either I let Casio's "PhotoLoader" delete each pic after importing it, or I just select them all in Windows Explorer and delete. Job done.
Old Mar 15, 2004, 5:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gibson
However, I always re-format the card upon re-installing in camera. Don't format in the computer/Windows, the camera doesn't know who you are. Why?.......................it's a Canon thing.
Am I missing something? Why reformat the card *at all*? Just delete the picture files you've downloaded, then put the card back in the camera.
Old Mar 15, 2004, 5:43 PM   #19

Default USB 1

I'm with PKChopper; I start the download and walk away and do something else for five or ten minutes. In todays world it would be called slow, but not painfully so when I consider the amount of information being transferred. And no where near as long as dropping off a roll of film and waiting for it to come back like in the old days. I'm just amazed that one photo won't even fit on an old 3.5" floppy which used to be my workhorse.
kjosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2004, 6:09 PM   #20

When you delete a file the space on the card where the picture was stored is tagged as free to use but the file is not erased. If this is done using windows sometimes the space may not get tagged as free to use. This can lead to the disk becoming fragmented read and write times can slow down and more importantly it can result in less space on your card for storing pictures. The camera format deletes and defrags at the same time and you ensure the file system remains intact.

Hope this helps
dredd is offline   Reply With Quote