Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 17, 2004, 7:01 PM   #21

Another reason to reformat is that it rebuilds the FAT table on the on the CF card. They can get corrupted over time (bad software) and you can loose pictures.

Reformatting in the camera helps prevent this from happening by starting with a clean slate.

The file fragmentation is a real issue as well. It takes awhile, but you can slow down the card by selectively deleting and adding new pictures. Deleting all should help this, though. But formatting is better. It also relocates the fat table to a different flash memory block on the card, distributing the write usage over different parts of the card.

It's easy to do... trust us, just do it.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2004, 7:13 PM   #22

Dunno why but I always pop my card out and slam it into my media reader then do a format on it once back in cam... saves battery is much faster then going through the cam... usb 2 card reader = fast download LOL
mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2004, 8:11 PM   #23

Default Another consideration...

I am now in the habit of downloading pictures directly from the camera into the computer using USB 1.1. I developed the habit after using a USB device which accepted the CFC, and the device plugged directly into a USB port. After numerous uses, one of the pins broke off inside the device, fortunately, it stuck out of the CFC socket enough for me to pull it out with tweezers. After that experience, also taking into account that the USB device was a cheapo, I got to thinking about unnecessary wear and tear, thus my new habit of leaving the CFC in the camera. Valid consideration?
kjosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 12:27 AM   #24

Worrying that the CF card could break or get damaged when moving it between camera and reader is not unreasonable. Is the chance of it very high? Probably not, but it can happen.

So there is something to be said for it.

I don't know what would happen if the camera's battery went dead while downloading. I assume nothing, but I don't know.

You are using up the finite life of the camera battery by downloading from the camera... but so is using it to review pictures after you've taken them... so is it worth worrying about? Probably not... but technically it is happening.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 12:54 AM   #25

Let's not forget that the Compact Flash cards have their limitations as well.

you'd be better off installing a firewire card;
just ground your wrists on the case when you pop it in. And suck out the dust in that case!

edit: suck suck suck, cant' a person say suck in this forum? s.uck!
huckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2004, 2:28 PM   #26

MAJOR UPDATE...

I picked up a Hi Speed USB 2.0 card reader over the weekend and just downloaded my first batch

:shock: W O W !!!! :shock:

A little less than a second (gusstiment using the old "one elephant" bit) a pic and the pics averaged 2.1mb

If you are still hooking up your 300D via its USB port, stop right now and go get a card reader... you won't be sorry
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote