Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 25, 2004, 6:33 PM   #1

Default Newbie Question and Help!

I'm getting geared up for my first investment into the DSLR realm from an old Pro90IS P&S to the Digital Rebel! I was able to see the Rebel at the local Canon Dealer and was well impressed with the build, ergonomics and feel of this Beauty! Wow, the in-store captures looked amazing with the EF-S 18-55mm kit lens! Also checked out the 70-200mm f/4L and feel this should be my first add on lens purchase, awesome glass for the $$$!

I'm real excited to make this investment but would like to know if the 70-200L would work well with the EF 1.4 Extender, giving me a total 35mm equivalent of 448mm reach (more of what I'm use to with the Pro90)? Would this combination at a max f/5 be too slow or cause auto focusing problems? Canon says it will work , but what about the real world with real experiences?

I know I'm getting ahead of myself since I've never used or owned any SLR equipment before, but I've learned so much from Steve's forum here and all the great sharing of experiences that I want to continue making an informed purchase!

Please, any advice or help will be most Appreciated!

Thanks,

Ted
theophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2004, 11:09 PM   #2

With the 1.4TC, the max fstop would be f5.6, not f5. AF would still work, although it might have more trouble in lower light than f4. In general it will work well.

That lens is supposed to be fairly good, so I bet you'll be happy with it.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2004, 11:32 AM   #3

Thanks for Your Reply Eric ! Before purchasing, I will try this combo out at the store but feel it will give me more flexiability for the $$$!

Will let you know how it performs!

Thanks,

Ted
theophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2004, 4:43 PM   #4

I just bought the 28-135 IS lens. The image stabilization feature ROCKS!!!! (esp. as I often do not carry around a tripod). I find that for my purposes I do not need such a large telephoto. Max. is f3.5. I usually need as much light as possible (my next lens will be a 50mm 1.8 prime). So, will the aperture be large enough for you? Anyway, I just got the rebel, too, so good luck in your purchase!

Amy
amytude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2004, 6:03 PM   #5

Theophile...

Every time I use the 70-200 F4 I like it more. It's a real nice lens; it's fast, it's light, it's sharp, it's a perfect fit on the Rebel; and, with a light monopod it's dynamic and you certainly don't miss that IS stuff.

I think your plan is a good one.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote