Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 24, 2014, 6:46 AM   #1

Default Help please

I cannot decide if the Mark III is worth the extra money or if I should just get the 6D like I was going to.
Could someone please help me that has used or has both.
I have read so much about the 2 of them that I am more confused then before.

Last edited by flaggirl1956; Apr 24, 2014 at 6:49 AM.
flaggirl1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2014, 7:35 AM   #2

There are some small differences which you should have seen (100% vs 97% viewfinder, different build and sealing and external controls, use of CF card in favor of 5dIII. Built in GPS and wifi in favor of 6d.

But, the big difference by far is the focus systems. The 5dIII has canon's professional focus system and focus array. The 6d is a bit unique - it's focus array is mostly an antiquated one with only 1 highly sensitive point - the center point. But that point is extremely good.

The reality is, the price difference really comes down to that - do you want/need professional grade focus array and focus tracking using off-center points or not.

From an image quality standpoint, the sensor in the 6d might be slightly better. The other stuff are definitely differences, but with a $1200 price difference it really comes down to that focus system.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:36 PM   #3

I love the wifi in the 6d as I do birthday parties and can take my printer and can send the pictures right to the printer.
I don't think I would miss the pro grade focus and the tracking for the price.
Thanks for your help John.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 1:13 AM   #4

My wife answered that same question for someone upgrading from a T1i.

"Hi,

I too started with a T1i and I upgraded to the 70D. I mainly chose it for the AF. I thought about the 6D, and going FF, but in the end I could not get past the 11 AF points, with only 1 center-point cross type. I struggled with that on my T1i (the focus, recompose method was getting old, it got me into more trouble than I can count), and I myself could not go there. FWIW, I have no problems with my 70D.
I will tell you, choose what is most important to you, as it is a personal choice. You have to be comfortable using it, if you're not, it's not the camera for you! My suggestion, if at all possible (head to a local camera store) and hold and play around with the cameras you are considering.
I wish you luck in your decision-making process. They are all great cameras, you can't go wrong with either one."

Hope this helps,
Craig
Old May 7, 2014, 10:33 AM   #5

Thanks I am on my way to get my camera and I think 99% sure 6D.
Old May 7, 2014, 8:30 PM   #6

Post some shots soon and let us know how you like the camera.
Old May 14, 2014, 9:39 PM   #7

If it helps, i was in the same boat with a month old baby. Its now 7 months and i dont regret the 6D. The WIFI to me is the biggest feature for moving pictures to the phone for preview and showing it to family or just whatsapping or printing thorugh your wifi printer is such an easy thing.

The pictures are stunning at even 6400ISO and with fast moving babies it just makes it up. By the way, the AF is super slow compared to the 5D. 5D M3 will be better off if you are talking about moving subjects and you are using really tough lenses.

My 5000 odd pictures are from manually focused CZ 50mm lens @f1.4. I just upgraded my firmware to magic lantern and its got some really good features to make the manual focus something really easy.
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote