Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 26, 2014, 11:24 PM   #1

Default AF Settings

I picked up a 5D3 a couple of weeks ago so I'm still figuring out all the controls.
Have a question on using back button focus as there seems to be two ways to back button focus. There is the AF-ON button and the * button that can be program for auto focus. Question, which one is better to use and what is the difference between the two buttons if any? Could also use a suggestion on focus pattern setting for doing a Karate shoot. Use single point, single point expanded, zone or one of the other focus settings?

Thanks,
Craig
Old Apr 27, 2014, 6:56 PM   #2

I have similar options with the 7D. For your back button focus, use the one that is more comfortable and easiest for you. For shooting Karate, I would try a zone with multiple points available and use AI servo which will follow the action.

MAR's Flickr
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2014, 2:37 AM   #3

I like where the AF-ON button is located but wasn't sure if there was a difference in the two buttons worked. I always use AI-servo but never used multiply focus points yet. Will have to give that a try on the next shoot.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 6:22 AM   #4

There is no difference in functionality - just location. As for focus for karate, you really just want to use single point with the helpers turned on. That's true of just about any human sport. Kata and breaks are the easier part to shoot. Kumite is the toughest. I wish I could tell you which focus case to use for AI-Servo, but I honestly haven't used my 5dIII for a whole lot of sports.

Just make sure you're using a wide aperture - you're going to have some ugly backgrounds most likely so you'll want to blur them as much as possible.

Good luck
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2014, 12:16 PM   #5

Hi John,
"Just make sure you're using a wide aperture - you're going to have some ugly backgrounds most likely so you'll want to blur them as much as possible."

Oh how I wish that thought had entered my mind about 500 shoots ago. I shot everything in TV mode to keep the shutter speed at 1/250 to control motion blur. Having to move all around the studio causing the lighting to change on me is why I felt an auto mode would be best to use. Thinking next time use manual setting for f-stop, shutter speed and set an auto ISO range. The auto ISO should compensate for the changing light and then not end up with the ugly backgrounds.