Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 26, 2004, 10:39 AM   #1

Default Is the Canon 10D too heavy to drag around for days at a time

If you are a Canon 10D owner/user, I would like your opinion for my peculier problem. I am an airline pilot and currently use a Nikon Coolpix 880 - 'bout 3 years old with only a 3x optical zoom. I am willing to spend the money for a "grow into" system and have decided the Canon 10d is the one. HOWEVER..... one of my principal uses for the camera is to take airborne photos while flying ..... if you have ever seen San Diego from 5,000 ft in the big turn back to the North, or the LA basin on a clear day ... well you get the idea. Here's the rub: my coolpix is small and compact but lacks the optical zoom. In the airline business one must be compact and light - dragging heavy bags thru airports, on and off hotel vans..onto shuttle buses for the employee parking lots is the worst part of the job! So picture hauling your Canon 10D around for 2 to 5 days at a time. It has to go into an already existing bag. If I had a "universal" lens, i.e. 28-200 - would that be too big and bulky? Should I just be content with a point & shoot like the new 7x optical Canon has announced at the Feb. photo show? I am only an amateur photog and I might buy the 10D anyway - but would I eventually get tired of lugging it around if it were my principal "airline" camera. I have about a year and a half before they make me retire and there are only so many times I'm going to see the Rockies and downtown Chicago on clear days, so I need to make my decision soon. Since you can't find a 10D in a store, it's impossible to gauge the weight/bulk with a "big" zoom lens attached. If you have experience with the 10D, please give me your opinion. :!: Maybe the 10D is not the right camera? Please feel to send me your opinion as well to my email: [email protected] Thanks everybody Airbus Mike

=yellow][/color]
Airbus Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2004, 12:02 PM   #2

Default EOS 10D, not a compact!

Mike,
I use this camera and would not give it up, however I can understand why it is not for everyone. It may not be for you!
With the battery grip and a zoom lens you'll be 3.5 to 4 lbs.Is that something you would like to tote around. This camera is one you may wish to get after you retire. I am pleased with everything about this camera system and have accustomed myself to the bulk. I will say that I miss the spontaneous shots that occur with a point and shoot camera, all of my photography has become much more deliberate with the 10D.
I think you need to find a store that has a camera you can handle with a lens attached and see how it feels to you. We each have to make the individual tough choices alone. Good luck.
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2004, 12:04 PM   #3

Default For Portability, Features, $$$....

Hello Airbus Mike ,

Sounds like the New Canon "S1" may fit your needs! 3.2mp-10X Optical Zoom-Image Stabalized-Fast f/2.8 to 3.1-USM Zoom-Flip Out LCD Screen-Ergonomic and Compact-Super Video Capabilities-$500 retail!

Preliminary Pics show much promise, Check these below!

http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/pss1is/sample-e.html

Anyway, I too am looking for a DSLR + Lens Purchase like the Digital Rebel and 70-200 f/4L, but may also add the S1 for those times I need the portability!

Just my .02 cents! Good Luck!

Ted
theophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2004, 1:44 PM   #4
NHL

They have the 10D at most Best Buys in the DC/MD/VA area so you can try to hold 1 there!

I have a 10D too, but I still like my D7 a lot for light work and seriously thinking about getting an A2 to replace it for portability... After all for less than the price of a good 28-200 IS lens I can get an exceptional camera in the same focal range with "Anti-Shake" and don't even have to worry about changing the lens. :P
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=21664

Seriouly though the A1/A2 have more features than some dSLRs and it looks like its AF is quite fast too. The other thing is that on the A1/A2 you get a true 28-200. A 28-200 on the 10D will not get you 28mm at the wide with the crop factor (ie two lenses is usually the norm for this range on a dSLR)!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2004, 5:19 PM   #5

I have had good results with the Olympus C-700 series, which are getting smaller and more lightwieght and feature a 10X zoom. (I use a C-730 as my carrying around camera in my briefcase when I don't have my DRebel). The C-770 is about to come out, check out Steve's PMA News link. I have several albums taken with my C-730 posted on my website - all but the two most recent were shot with the Olympus. These cameras will throw up some purple fringing in certain conditions (strong backlighting), but this can be reduced or eliminated in Photoshop with a couple fo editing tweaks.

http://community.webshots.com/user/johnwmitchell100
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2004, 1:29 AM   #6

The 10D body itself is not that heavy. It is the lens that you're going to put on it that will both make it heavy, and possibly awkward to store in a bag. I would check www.canoneos.com and check the weight on their lenses. Someone estimated 4 pounds or so for the whole setup, that sounded reasonable to me. You could try to stick a four pound weight in your bags for a while and see what that does for you

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2004, 5:07 AM   #7
NHL

An A1/A2 or similar all-in-one camera weights only ~20oz and they sport "true" 28-200mm. You should remember to factor in the poundage of two lenses as well on the 10D for the same range after its 1.6x cropping factor!

Most folks here are not turned off by the extra weight, after all we even put up with as large and as fast of a lens that we can afford, or going out of our way to find even more lenses to stuff our camera's bag; However, there's also the necessary evil of having to swap lenses back and forth that you have to live with. You know the drill: out of the bag, front-cap, rear-cap, twist-off, twist-on, front-cap, rear-cap, in the bag, etc... then Ooops! you might need the other focal lenght again.

What's usually happens is some folks will sacrifice @ the wide, but only you can determine if you can get away with a ~45mm in the confinement of a cockpit. :P
Old Mar 3, 2004, 6:13 PM   #8

Really, its not the camera body that is too heavy... its usually the lenses attached to it that make it weight a ton...
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2004, 12:33 PM   #9
NHL

It's not just the weight, there's also the size (28-200mm equivalent on a 10D)...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Old Mar 4, 2004, 3:39 PM   #10

Hmm.

The 300D and 10D arn't that heavy. But quite bulky. Perhaps not the ideal cameras for your specific application.

Digital zoom can do horrible things to your pictures. You're better off NOT using it, IMHO, use as much optical zoom as you have then download the picture to your PC and crop closer there if you have to. To help with this of course, choose a camera with as many pixels as you can get!

Have a look at the Canon G5 - more compact and lighter than teh SLRs, excellent lens. 5 megapixel sensor, and you can screw on a tele-adapter.

Me, i'll have my 300D with me next time I'm on a plane - but with it's gadget bag, second lens, spare battery, spare CF cards, it *is* my carry-on luggage. Room on the top of the bag for a paperback, room inside for my Archos jukebox.
ccomley is offline   Reply With Quote