Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 27, 2004, 2:20 PM   #1

Default Digital Rebel vs Nikon D70 ?

Yes friends, as you know D70 is on sale.I would like to get a Digital Rebel but now I got confused.Because as if D70 is better than digital Rebel.Do you also think so?I want to get your opinions about it.Should I get digital Rebel or D70? Which one is better?
civil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2004, 2:37 PM   #2

i think ive heard about this subject before...

really, only a couple of things to do

1. extra 300 dollars for the nikon +lens. thats a lot of money for me. with taht 300 dollars (if u bought the DR) u could buy a prime fast lens, and a telephoto (i bought a 80-200 USM used for 75 and the 50mm prime for 75), and if you shop aroudn even another lens or a bag, basically everything you need. I got EVERYTHING i need for my DR (and more) for about 1500 bucks. (i take that back, i dont have a flash (which i dont really miss)

2. who knows when the nikon will be released. you have to wait.

3. If you have the money and the time doesnt bother you (which might very well be your case) then you will really have to wait until a unbiased review comes out comparimg the 2. then, we'll know a bit better which is the better choice. assuming the money isnt a big issue.
shoelessone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2004, 2:37 PM   #3

If you have NO lenses for either system and the choice was between the Canon 300d or the Nikon D70 I would pick the D70 it is supposedly more featuer rich.

If the choice was between the Nikon D70 and the Canon 10D I would take the 10D.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2004, 2:52 PM   #4

well..
I am owner s45 at the moment and also owner a classic EOS 300 with 28-90 EF lens.My question is: if I get DR, can I use this 28-90 lens with it? and what about as macro and micro with this lens.Should I buy DR with lens or only body?
Old Feb 27, 2004, 2:58 PM   #5

Ah you already have a lense! The EF28-90 should work with the DR, just multiply by 1.6 It will work as a 45mm-144mm.
The kit 18-55 that can come with the DR works as a 28.8mm to 88mm in 35mm equivelance. The 18-55 is getting good reviews from owners so it is not a bad option if you like wider angle images.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2004, 3:32 PM   #6

ok. shoelessone and PeterP

Thanks for your answers.
I"ll get the DR
Old Feb 27, 2004, 5:02 PM   #7

good choice, especially since you already have a compatible lens. I too had the same dilemma but the D70 was no where near ready when I was shopping so I went for the 300D. If I were deciding today I would probably lean towards the D70 since I didn't have any equipment already.

The 300D is a great camera and stands very well on its own merit and has an ISO as low as 100 opposed to 200 for the D70

check out this link for an in-depth comparison of the D70 Vs 300D

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/nikond70/
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote