Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 28, 2004, 2:59 PM   #1

Default battery trouble

My canon battery has been acting up. Eventhough I charged it all last night (fully charged based on the charger) it quickly said it was 1/2 way down and then I got some errors and the camera just didn't work. I don't remember the error code. Maybe 01?

What I wondered was this. I didn't think I needed to condition this type of battery, so I haven't been. Just topping it off before I leave. Should I? Shoudl I discharge the battery completely before charging every now and then?

Ideas?

Luckly I had a second battery, so that saved me.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2004, 3:34 PM   #2
NHL

Yeap

How about the contacts?
It's time to buy a new one... if the problem persists.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2004, 6:36 PM   #3

The problem is that the battery is less than a year old with about 9 thousand pictures though it. I thought they were rated for much more than that.

It is only the second time I've had similar trouble, the first time it was very cold (oh, was that with the Canon or Lenmar?) This time it was a balmy 50 degrees!

I'll check the contacts.

I wonder if the battery is under warrenty with the rest of the camera?

Eric
Old Feb 28, 2004, 10:57 PM   #4

I was just going to start a new post today with the topic of how much I love this battery. My battery is still very new with less than a thousand pics. I haven't charged it for awhile, downloaded a few pics the other day (after a previous shoot and download), took it out today shot 50 with quite a few in the sports mode, downloaded and the battery still reads full. I love it.

sorry to hear about your troubles.
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2004, 5:13 PM   #5

It's a lithiium ion battery - like modern cellphones - so shouldn't need "conditioning". However they said that about NiMH batteries when those started to take over from NiCad, and find the battery life of my AA stock seems better if I condition them, and if you flatten before recharging, so I try to always do that.

However, battery life is not for-ever. 9000 shots, persumably some of them with flash, some playback... do you download to PC with the camera running on battery?... and so on, probably equals the life expectancy of a battery.

Time for a new one.

I've bee advised by someone who gets through a lot of pixels, that the "compatible" batteries from www.7dayshop.com may not last quite as long as Canon originals, but at about half the price, still a good buy. I just ordered one...
ccomley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2004, 6:01 PM   #6

Not all were taken with the canon battery (I have an after-market one too) but most were. I almost never use the onboard flash because I have a hotshoe mounted one instead. I could easily have taken 8000 with it, though.

Do you really think it's that short? Of course, I'm talking from ignorance, so maybe it is my expectations that are way off.

I've been thinking about getting a separate battery pack to camera and flash, now might be the time.

I guess I'll run it down completely ovenright (disable the timeout, turn on the LCD) and then recharge it fully and see what happens. Oh, and clean the contacts.

Eric
Old Mar 4, 2004, 7:07 PM   #7

I have no idea - I'll ask the chap I mentioned how long his last. My 300D is only about 300 shots old so I hope *my* batt has a while to go yet.

I did consder the battery/holder for the 300D but frankly, it's big enough already!

Try de-and-re charging it a couple of times - can't really hurt, might breath fresh life into it.
ccomley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2004, 8:42 AM   #8

There have been tons of questions regarding battery/charging problems.

First, as the manual states: it is best to leave the battery in the charger for about an hour after the full charge has been completed (light indicator). This gives it "total" charge. Lithium batteries DO NOT require a conditioning charge and can be "topped off" at any time.

From the sounds of your problem this may/could be a defective battery. Not everything Canon makes is perfect and batteries can do bad things. I personally use third party batteries and have had no problems with them, not to mention the canon's also. You should try an alternate battery to check all of this out, including tips on the other posts. Other batteries are far less expensive than Canon's and perform as well or better and also have extended life/power.

If you do alot of shooting and don't want the hassle of changing batteries frequently, do yourself a good deed and pick up the "grip". I use it constantly and can shoot all week without any power problems. This item is most reccommened by all photographers, it increases balance and does not add alot to the weight of the camers especially if you use long range lenses, etc.

Happy shooting.....................Gary
Gary Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2004, 11:52 AM   #9

What I've been seriously considering is getting an external battery pack that powers both the camera and flash. I have been using flash more and really hating how I can't shoot short bursts with it.

But I'll try somethings to recover the canon battery. I have a 3rd party battery that is working well, but the majority of problems I've read about happen after awhile, not right away.

Eric