Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 29, 2004, 8:30 PM   #1

Default Rebel users--what do you carry your gear in?

I guess it would depend on how many lenses you want with you at times. I am planning a couple of upcoming trips and need to figure out a way to store my drebel, along with the 28-135 lens, a 50 f1.8 lens, and an external flash (already spending my b-day money). Could I put this all in a regular backpack? Do I need "special" protective gear for the lenses? Mostly, I will be walking around all day and need the camera with me at all times. Thanks for any suggestions, esp. inexpensive ones.

Amy
amytude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 29, 2004, 10:02 PM   #2

Amy,
these are great bags. sounds like buget may be a concern, but they are less expensive then replacing your Rebel or lens due to damage They also offer room for that arsenal of lens you'll soon be aquiring

http://www.lowepro.com/pages/NewProd.htm

good Luck!!

Ed
Ed M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2004, 11:05 PM   #3

amytude,
I have a 10D, Sigma 24-135, Sigma 105 macro, Sigma 500Dg Super, 8 NIMH AA's w/charger, Extra BP-511, Canon charger, Lexar CF reader, and random cleaning accessories all stuffed into a Lowerpro Nova 3 AW, with room enough for one for lens of decent size! It will be quite snug once i get my long lens, but that bag is wonderful! I recommend you check it out. The bag retails for about $60 usd.
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2004, 11:39 PM   #4

I've got the 10D, but its a similar body. I use 2 LowePro bags and like them a lot . One is the Photo Trekker Classic the other is a TopLoader Pro AW.

The first is one of their lower-medium sized backpacks. I like it because I can carry food and a few small articles of clothing in the larger outer pocket while all my gear goes inside. Or I can put my spotting scope inside and instead put the camera in the TopLoader.

The TopLoader Pro AW is nice because it holds the camera body with my biggest lens attached (the 100-400L.) This is overkill for you, but based on my used of this bag, I would recommend the others in the series. Well made, enough room for small extras like batteries and stuff.

For what you list, you might consider a Orion Trekker: http://www.lowepro.com/pages/series/...g/oriontrk.htm

Or the Orion AW:
http://www.lowepro.com/pages/series/...ng/orionaw.htm

Depending on your trips, the Orion AW would be better because the backpack is separate (clips on) to the base unit (which holds the camera gear.) This is nice so you can take only the camera or expand and have room for food, a chance of cloths, place for purchases... that kinda stuff.

My big recommendation is to do what I did. Bring your stuff and go to a camera store that carries bags. Put your gear in them and wear them around the store. Make sure they feel good and hold what you need. If the store doesn't let you do that, then tell them they won't get the sale. Most big camera stores will let you do this. I wouldn't buy a jacket or shoes without trying it on.. the same goes with a camera bag.

The big advantages of LowePro are:

1) They are very comfortable. They put effort into making them fit well and distribute weight. I can go long distances with my backpack and not notice the weight once its strapped in.

2) Well made. They are very tough and well padded. They can take a beating and not rip or mark. Very nice.

The only downside with them is that they are not cheap (which you wanted.)

Their web site is well done, letting you pick bags by style, equipment, or product line. Wander around their web page, you'll like what you see.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 4:32 PM   #5

Default Recommended Bag

I guess it comes down to how much do you want to carry around. I've learned from experience that I don't want to lug a lot around. I try to anticipate my shooting and fit one lens to the job. Difficult yes, and there are always trade-offs. Right now, I'm using a Tamrac Zoom 14, which accepts the DR and the kit lens only, with two pockets available for small items like filters. I understand why you would also like to carry the 50mm f1.8 and a flash, and should you decide to take them along, yes by all means keep them protected in something. Any of the major bag manufacturers, such as LowePro and Tamrac, have something that should meet your needs. Take a look at Domke bags too, they are an interesting line; they're part of the Saunders group.
kjosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 4:39 PM   #6

Default Followup

I'm sorry I didn't include a link in my previous post. Try this:

http://www.saundersphoto.com/html/domkest.htm
kjosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 5:33 PM   #7

I don't have a camera bag at all. I always feel like such an idiot carrying around a camera with nothing else.
Veritable Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 5:35 PM   #8

Hey, thanks everyone. Well, spending $60 or so is fine, but I just couldn't afford $100+ right now (esp. since I don't even HAVE the 50mm lens or flash, yet)

I checked out many of those lines. They look great, very functional. I would obviously carry this instead of my purse, so I would need room for a few incidentals as well. My b-day is this month, so hopefully I'll be getting some $$$ to buy some of these wonderful things!

Amy
Old Mar 1, 2004, 6:30 PM   #9

Default another solution

This may sound a little strange, but my co-worker, who has an art degree and has done quite a bit of photography, told me that one of her professors recommended using a diaper bag for photo equipment. I think it was partly because they don't scream out, "I have a bunch of fancy schmancy expensive photo equipment in here!" Of course, once you've taken your camera out, the cat's out of the bag.

I was in Target today looking at them, and they aren't as funny looking as I thought they'd be, and they have a bit of padding. They seem to be a bit cheaper, too. I expect I'll do a little customization with whatever bag I choose.

And "Fisher Price" just doesn't say "camera equipment in here" the way "Lowepro" does.

Kristine
xena45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 6:56 PM   #10

Kristine,
You know what's funny? I actually thought about that. I have a $90 diaper bag backpack, that is really wonderful! It is kind of large, however. Great minds think alike!

Amy