Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 1, 2004, 4:42 PM   #11

Yep, the Gallery from Cupid's Cup was all shot at ISO1600... exceptionally bad lighting!

Ok, here's another thing I have learned about shooting available light... No mater what lens, no matter what ISO, no matter what camera there will be times when you just can't stop all of the blurring... Seems to be a fact of life so I've learned to live with it The lighting in these gyms and arenas is just to dim! So I've learn to live with body's and heads that are sharp but hands and feet that are blurry....

Now of course I have to post at least one hockey picture...

Sigma 70-200 F2.8 at 1/100 sec, ISO 400... I think it was fully zoomed... (sigmas can give goofy readings... )

Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 4:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Saginaw
Yep, the Gallery from Cupid's Cup was all shot at ISO1600... exceptionally bad lighting!

Ok, here's another thing I have learned about shooting available light... No mater what lens, no matter what ISO, no matter what camera there will be times when you just can't stop all of the blurring... Seems to be a fact of life so I've learned to live with it The lighting in these gyms and arenas is just to dim! So I've learn to live with body's and heads that are sharp but hands and feet that are blurry....

Now of course I have to post at least one hockey picture...

Sigma 70-200 F2.8 at 1/100 sec, ISO 400... I think it was fully zoomed... (sigmas can give goofy readings... )

TY
private is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 6:40 PM   #13
DBK

[quote="Mr_Saginaw"]Yep, the Gallery from Cupid's Cup was all shot at ISO1600... exceptionally bad lighting!

Yeah but the blurred hands and feet look great! The vault shots are great.
DBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 7:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBK
Yeah but the blurred hands and feet look great! The vault shots are great.
Thanks!
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 9:20 PM   #15

I've had some exceptionally good luck with my 70-200 f4L with my Digital Rebel from the upper deck in an NHL arena at ISO 800.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=2153686
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 9:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell
I've had some exceptionally good luck with my 70-200 f4L with my Digital Rebel from the upper deck in an NHL arena at ISO 800.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=2153686
has this shot been edited at all? how high were you? thanks!
Old Mar 1, 2004, 10:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Saginaw

1) Switch to Av mode and set aperture to the lowest number it will go to. Other advantage of Av mode is the autofocus will swith to AI servo if camera detects subject is moving..
When in AV mode, my shutter speed is too slow, no good at all for sports pics! Furthermore, I can't get aperture lower than 3.5. Am I doing this wrong?????????????/
Old Mar 1, 2004, 11:32 PM   #18

I am very surprised that they let you into an NHL arena with that lens. Most will refuse you at the door because you look even vaguely like a pro and they want limit/control the pictures that get out.

Nice pic, BTW.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 11:55 PM   #19

I was in the lower half of the upper deck at American Airlines Center in Dallas- a pretty good distance away. That particular slap shot was on the far side of the rink. The security folks checked my bag good, as they always do, but they've never not let me in with it.

Other than cropping the image to move in on the action there's nothing done other than the normal, minor USM added prior to saving the image as a high quality JPEG to CD. If I printed the entire image to the same magnification it would probably be around an 11x14 or slightly bigger. That was taken at 200mm (320mm digital equivalent). I metered the ice before the game in aperture priority at ISO 800 and pressed the exposure lock button, which causes the Digital Rebel to shift into partial metering which further closes down the angle the meter measures, then switched to manual mode, dialed in the settings plus 2 stops (1/640 sec at f4.5) to keep the ice white and let everything else fall into place. Shot the whole game at those same settings. The lighting is consistent across the surface and you don't want the darker fan sections influencing the exposure- it would have blown the highlights out

The guys who really have it made are the media photogs. The ceiling of the building has these huge strobes that pop all game. The news guys have a radio transmitter that trips 'em every time they shoot. Most fans don't even notice.
Old Mar 2, 2004, 12:10 AM   #20

Here's the full frame shot to give an idea of how much I cropped the image. The other two hockey images in the folder from that same game are cropped about as much too.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=2177458