Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 1, 2004, 11:16 AM   #1

Default Dig Rebel + hockey game

Hey everyone, hopefully someone can help me here!
I've been taking my digital rebel to my sons hockey games (indoor arena), using the stock lens that comes with the camera. For some reason I can't get the right setting to shoot nice sharp pictures of the game, To my knowledge, I've tried many different settings still no luck! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
private is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2004, 12:02 PM   #2

Could you tell us what settings you used? Shutter speed, aperture, ISO is a good start.
Do you have an example picture you could show us?

Indoor photography (even in a lit sporting arena) is not the easiest thing. It might look like there is enough light, but there usually isn't.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 12:08 PM   #3

Probably not enough light for that lens to capture images well. Boost your ISO as high as possible and see what happens (expect increased noise). I would suggest that you put your camera in Tv mode and turn the exposure to the fastest shutter speed you can achieve by increasing your ISO setting.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 1:13 PM   #4

I started off at ISO400, not enough so i tried ISO800. I was in Tv mode, shutter speed 1/125. I also tried "sports mode" but that was a disaster.
In auto mode, could not get a decent picture as it kept dropping shutter to 1/30...very blurry pics!

Would a better lens help? Any suggestions on a good one?

Thanks for the input guys!
Old Mar 1, 2004, 1:47 PM   #5

A faster lens (i.e. f/2.8) would help some (about 2 stops from the lens you have) but you're still going to run into issues trying to stop action with available indoor lighting. Obviously an external flash would be a plus if that option is available.

There are a few people here that do this type of shooting on a regular basis. Browse through the Sports photo area and check on a few of the basketball posts. I think Mr Saginaw posts regularly with basketball indoor shots using available lighting.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 2:51 PM   #6

Two stops faster would give you about 1/500th (1 stop allows for doubling the shutter speed, so two stops doubles and then redoubles.) That isn't bad for stopping action. Part of why I asked for the settings you used is because it was a question of subject blur or shooter blur.

Motion blur requires a faster shutter speed.

Shooter blur means you could use a monopod or IS lens and keep the same shutter speed. Or use a faster shutter speed.

I assumed it was motion blur, but you didn't say. And I don't like to presume when I don't really know (only had a hunch.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 3:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
Two stops faster would give you about 1/500th (1 stop allows for doubling the shutter speed, so two stops doubles and then redoubles.) That isn't bad for stopping action. Part of why I asked for the settings you used is because it was a question of subject blur or shooter blur.

Motion blur requires a faster shutter speed.

Shooter blur means you could use a monopod or IS lens and keep the same shutter speed. Or use a faster shutter speed.

I assumed it was motion blur, but you didn't say. And I don't like to presume when I don't really know (only had a hunch.)

Eric
Definately motion blur, but I noticed shutter speed was automatically set too slow and that is the reason why! When I up the shutter speed, I dont get enough light, image too dark/grainy.
Old Mar 1, 2004, 4:33 PM   #8

Well, Oheny is right.. I do a fair amount of available light sports shooting My step-daugher is a competitive gymnist which mean NO FLASH... EVER!

As mentioned you're probably expecting to much much out of your kit lens. I happen to love my Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX HSM APO lens

Until you can afford a better lens (and ever afterwords here is my advice)

1) Switch to Av mode and set aperture to the lowest number it will go to. Other advantage of Av mode is the autofocus will swith to AI servo if camera detects subject is moving..

2) Crank the ISO up... I've got some good results shooting ISO 1600 and then running the images through Neat Image.

I did shoot some hockey a couple of weekends ago but haven't upload to my website yet... but here's some sample of ISO 1600 and then ran through Neat Image (bought the Pro version so I can to them all in batch mode! )

http://www.tammyandjohn.com/PhotoAlb...d_04/index.htm

Let us know how you make out!
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 4:34 PM   #9

doah.. the dreaded double post...
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 5:00 PM   #10

Thanks a bunch Mr_Saginaw. I will do as you suggested and post some results. Are those shots (stepdaughter/gymnastics) shot at ISO1600?