Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 5, 2004, 5:59 PM   #11

If you have Windows XP (Not sure about others) you can view the EXIF by right clicking the file (Picture file) go to properties. Then you will have two tabs, one says "General" and the other says "Summery". Click on the summery and then down to the bottom right it has a button that says Advanced>>. Click that and it will give you the EXIF information. It may not be as indepth as others, but gives you all the general information that you are looking for...
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 7:39 AM   #12

Default Tripod Use

As heavy as that lens is, I would not use the camera tripod socket to attach the camera and lens to a tripod, for at least two reasons. The first is balance; attaching it all via the camera socket creates a situation where you run a greater risk of toppling the whole thing, camera, lens and tripod. Secondly, there are reports of the Digital Rebels tripod socket ripping out of the body. Exactly how this happens is unclear to me, but using it to mount a large lens to a tripod via the camera socket is certainly suspect. See http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=7854284

I'm disappointed that Canon didn't include one with this lens; and then to have it available optionally at over a hundred dollars is a bit much.
kjosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 8:07 AM   #13

Default 100% disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normcar
I really don't see any need for a collar on this F4 lens, it's not heavy enough for that demand.

You certainly don't need that $114 collar from B&H...I've seen it too and wouldn't even "think" of buying it...it isn't needed, period.
I have the black version ring (looks better than the white because of the two black rubber bands on the lens and costs less) and would not be without it. The difference in opinion from the quote here might just be that I shoot a lot of vertical format images. While the camera tripod mount might be enough for horizontals, flopping the camera sideways for a vertical will require you to tighten down terribly hard to prevent slipping. I would be concerned about stripping out the threads or having the front heavy lens droop. I also disagree that this lens is light. OK, it is light compared to the huge f/2.8 but it is quite a solid piece. You handhold it and let the camera dangle behind rather than the other way around. Some people buy the accessory battery pack to improve the balance of the camera with heavier lenses. If you have only used the kit lens or one of Canon's plastic amateur zooms, you will not be calling it 'light'. BTW: The lens does come with a lens hood. Use it! If nothing else, it will keep your fingers off of the front element (or your filter).
dougsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 12:15 PM   #14

Are you being serious here?

Good grief, I own the lens, it's light and any thought of stripping threads is ridiculous.

My perspective. And I'm sure 99% of those who own the lens would agree.

You make this lens out to be heavy, which is completely misleading and I'm not sure why you would even attempt to do this. My comments are for the person who is intending to purchase and I "don't" wish to mislead them, so this is the reason for my somewhat "rude" reply.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 2:53 PM   #15

Quote:
I'm disappointed that Canon didn't include one with this lens; and then to have it available optionally at over a hundred dollars is a bit much.
Would it have been better had they included the tripod ring and increased the price by $100?
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 2:56 PM   #16

The tripod ring isn't needed

I have this lens, it isn't needed, end of matter . If you want a photo ask for it
Old Mar 7, 2004, 4:35 PM   #17

Good question Henry. However, the answer is the same as the reason why a tripod ring isn't offered for the 100mm or the 135, it just isn't necessary. You don't need a plate for a hamburger, all you need is a hand.
Old Mar 7, 2004, 5:19 PM   #18

Default Tripod Socket

Would it have been better had they included the tripod ring and increased the price by $100?[/quote]

I would find that equally disappointing.
kjosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 6:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normcar
The tripod ring isn't needed

I have this lens, it isn't needed, end of matter . If you want a photo ask for it
That's exactly why they added it as an option and could price it at a lower price point.

Apparently my subtle sarcasm was too subtle.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 6:45 PM   #20

who cares, it's a great lens and anyone who has it would agree. It's also light so straps around it isn't even a consideration for those who own it. I doubt that collars brought the price down. I'm sure that Canon first creates the lens, then the collar, if needed, not the other way around. The 70-200 lens is as good as the 2.8 in every way but doesn't weigh as much. Anyone who disputes this needs first to post evidence to the contrary. Then I'll begin to listen...if such a post arrived.