Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 1, 2004, 1:31 PM   #1

Default Questions about Exif and my new Canon 70-200mm F4 L lens

Hi,

I have a few newby-esque questions about my new camera and lens. I'm new to the SLR world, and this is the first lens I've purchased (aside from the one that came with the lens). I debated about getting a f2.8 lens for a long time, but the extra expense and weight of the thing made me want to try the f4 instead.

Even so, this new lens is significantly larger and heavier than the one that came with the DRebel. If I choose to use a tripod or monopod, do I just attach it to the bottom of the camera? The lens seems kind of heavy for that. Also, with this lens, I've been handling the camera by the lens - the whole mass of the thing has changed. Will this stress the mount at all? (are these stupid questions???)

I take lots of pictures of horses, in the pasture, in indoor arenas, and at small local shows, so it's more sports-like shooting than anything else. When I had my G3, I noticed that I got a lot of dust in the lens - you know, from the dusty conditions. Do you have any advice for avoiding that? I'd like to keep my new L lens in good condition.

In April I'm planning to take my new camera along to Kentucky for the Rolex Three Day Eventing show. If any of you have any tips, I'd love to hear them!

Also, this is maybe a very silly question...I feel like everyone knows this but me! How do I view the Exif data for my photos once I get them on my PC? Is there some little program that I should use, or will Photoshop show me this info? (I've been digital for years, with my little Canon Elph, but with the point and shoot camera, I never cared about exif data.)

Also, I want to thank all of you knowledgable folks on this forum. I've been reading for a while now, and have relied heavily on you for advice on my purchases. Thanks for sharing!

Kristine
xena45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2004, 1:43 PM   #2

The preferred mounting on a tripod/monopod would be using a lens mount (one is available for that lens), but you can mount it on the camera with the knowledge that the balance may be an issue. I wouldn't allow it to sit unattended affixed that way without some testing first

You can handhold that lens. The general rule of thumb would be that you should be able to handhold it at 1/250 sec (give or take depending on you). With plenty of light and shooting at higher shutter speeds you shouldn't have much of a problem with sharp photos. I have the 2.8 IS version and I agonized over which way to go before biting the bullet and paying the extra money.

There are EXIF readers available (do a search for EXIF and you should find some free ones out there). Many of the photo programs can also read EXIF data and display it.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 3:00 PM   #3

I just looked up a picture of the 70-200 f4L and it doesn't show a tripod collar on the lens. I would have expected one.. bad Cannon! You are right to worry in general about damaging the lens mount because of the weight of the lens putting all its force on the mount. If that is really a danger with this lens/weight I don't know. But keep it in mind, you should not just ignore this issue.

The program Exifer can read exif data, I've used that. Photoshop can also read it. At least Elements 2.0 could (I had that) and Photoshop CS can (I now use this.) I assume PS 7 can as well. In CS its under the file menu... I think the menu item is File Info. Also the software that came with the camera should be able to as well.

You might want to call ahead and talk with the people who run that horse show. Some sporting events don't allow anything but pocket cameras. What you have clearly isn't. You don't want to be refused entry because of your camera (or have to leave it somewhere while you're attending the event.) You can also ask about flash photography. I don't know if it would be allowed or not (I assume you don't have a flash, but they are handy so you might consider getting one.)

I would suggest getting a UV filter for your lens. Don't get the cheap one, but don't get the most expensive one either. You are adding another layer of glass, so that will change the picture some. But the better multi-coated ones won't increase the chance of lens-flare or chromatic aboration. I use one, and I find it nice. then if something rubs against the lens, or dust gets on it I can clean it without worrying about damaging the actualy lens.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 3:11 PM   #4

The tripod ring is an option of the F/4 model. It is standard on the f/2.8 models. I would recommend buying the ring, personally.

I'm not a fan of using a filter as a protective feature for everyday use, but in the case you mention I would definately put one on to prevent the dust/debris issue. I have a filter for my 2.8, but I only install it when I think the conditions warrant using it. I know that there are a lot of people that feel differently than I do on this issue and support using a UV filter all the time. Their position has merit as does mine. In any case, if you do decide to put a filter on, use a better quality filter as Eric suggested. B+W, Hoya are two good ones (multi-coated not the plain glass ones)
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2004, 12:24 PM   #5

Manfrotto makes a few good lens supports - check em out.
http://www.manfrotto.com/product/ite...&sectionid=103
LTBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2004, 1:18 PM   #6

Default Re: Questions about Exif and my new Canon 70-200mm F4 L lens

Quote:
Originally Posted by xena45
How do I view the Exif data for my photos once I get them on my PC?
I recommend 'Exifer', free from http://www.exifer.friedemann.info/
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2004, 4:47 PM   #7

Default Thanks!

Thanks for all the help! I looked at B&H, and see that the Canon Canon Tripod Mount Ring for that lens is over $110. Bummers. I'll add it to my wish list.

Thanks for the warning on bringing cameras into sporting events. I contacted the Rolex people, and they have no problem with cameras. Woohoo!

thanks again,

Kristine
Old Mar 4, 2004, 5:39 PM   #8

Default a question about that tripod mounting ring

Okay, I'm shopping around on the B&H site, and there are two tripod mounting rings:

Canon Tripod Mount Ring A for 70-200mm f/4L, 300mm f/4L & 400mm f/5.6L Lenses for $ 113.95 . It's white.

And then there's this one:

Canon Tripod Mounting Ring A for 200mm f/2.8L II, for $ 78.95. It's black, and has this note at the bottom of the page: "Works ONLY with the EF 200mm f/2.8L "II" lens. "

Is that true, that it only works on the f2.8 lens? Except for the color and the price, it looks exactly the same in the picture. And it's over $40 cheaper. (Which is why I'm asking, of course!)

Thanks again!

Kristine
Old Mar 4, 2004, 8:00 PM   #9

Default The black lens ring works fine

The black one is exactly the same as the white one - only black.

I have the 70-200 F4L and the black lens ring. It is exactly right. Looks fine, too.

Pascal
vpascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2004, 9:45 PM   #10

My experience with the F4 is that it is extremely light compared to the 2.8, and I'm sure that's why Canon decided to make the collar optional. I use a monopod with my F4 to shoot basketball and have had absolutely no problem without the collar. I mount it right on the monopod (with ball) and it works great. I can shoot an entire bball game without sweat or trouble.

That's one of the major plus factors of this particular lens as far as I'm concerned, and I really don't think that the "one" stop difference justifies the weight increase, especially with the non IS version of the 2.8, which I just sampled today. I also did a bit of a test, stopping the 2.8 down to 4 in order to see the light difference. In all honesty, I couldn't see much difference at all, if any. I still have the shots on card if anyone wishes to see them. If there is interest I'll post. Otherwise I won't. Let me know.

I really don't see any need for a collar on this F4 lens, it's not heavy enough for that demand.

You certainly don't need that $114 collar from B&H...I've seen it too and wouldn't even "think" of buying it...it isn't needed, period.

In all honesty, after trying out that 2.8 today (non IS of course), I would never be able to justify trading in my F4 for the F2.8. In fact, I'd be losing out on the deal because I'd have a heavier lens that really doesn't perform any better with AF or manual. I'd be paying hundreds of dollars for the equivalent of about 1 stop which to me isn't worth even considering.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote