Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Nov 29, 2014, 9:04 PM   #1

Default T5i vs 70D

Currently I have a xsi. I airline points about to expire and I can either get the t5i or the 70d. I am not sure if the 70d is too much for us. We have had the xsi for a while and has been acting up. So its time to upgrade.

We mostly take pictures of our kids and family members mostly in sports and indoors.

One think my wife is asking about is starting to take our own photos of the kids instead of taking them to the studio. She wants a backdrop and better light. We do have a metz external flash but assume i would need more for that.

Any input would really help.
Netman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2014, 10:44 AM   #2

The 20MP 70D has slightly less noise and slightly more dynamic range than the 18MP T5i, it can shoot at 1/8000 while the T5i maxes out at 1/4000 (a clear distinction between a pro level body and a consumer level body), it can shoot at 7 frames per second which bests the T5i's 5. Plus it has a better viewfinder, stronger battery, and a better AF system (important for sports shooting.) In addition, the 70D has WiFi, so you can transfer images to your computer, tablet, smartphone and/or the internet directly. In short, the 70D has a number of minor features that, together, make it a better choice than the T5i for what you what to do. That is not so say, however that the T5i wouldn't do well for you, just that the 70D would be better.

As for backdrops, if you have a nice set of drapes or a room with appropriate wallpaper, that would do as well. Lighting is a different issue, but one that can easily be solved with available lamps, etc.

Last edited by TCav; Nov 30, 2014 at 10:46 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2014, 1:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The 20MP 70D has slightly less noise and slightly more dynamic range than the 18MP T5i, it can shoot at 1/8000 while the T5i maxes out at 1/4000 (a clear distinction between a pro level body and a consumer level body), it can shoot at 7 frames per second which bests the T5i's 5. Plus it has a better viewfinder, stronger battery, and a better AF system (important for sports shooting.) In addition, the 70D has WiFi, so you can transfer images to your computer, tablet, smartphone and/or the internet directly. In short, the 70D has a number of minor features that, together, make it a better choice than the T5i for what you what to do. That is not so say, however that the T5i wouldn't do well for you, just that the 70D would be better.

As for backdrops, if you have a nice set of drapes or a room with appropriate wallpaper, that would do as well. Lighting is a different issue, but one that can easily be solved with available lamps, etc.
Any place to look for the lighting?
Netman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2014, 2:33 PM   #4

For dedicated studio lighting, there's Adorama and B & H. But an assortment of floor and table lamps could work as well. ("Auto White Balance" should be able to handle any mix you might come up with.)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote