Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 1, 2015, 3:49 AM   #1

Default Canon T4i DSLR flip-out LCD screen malfunction

Canon T4i/650D, purchased used, extremely lightly used (<800 shutter presses) and no signs of external damage.

Flip-out LCD screen, when opened, it's perfectly fine except for a blurred flickering bar on the bottom with similar hues from above. Then when rotated, at the exact point when the image is turned upsidedown, it's very blurry, flickering up and down, not really able to make out the image.
Already tried taking the LCD screen off/hinge off and cleaning connectors/hinge with electronic cleaner.

What's the problem?
Would replacing LCD be enough or is it a motherboard issue?
puregsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2015, 5:56 AM   #2

sounds like a job for a canon service centre to be honest
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2015, 9:29 AM   #3

where did you buy it?Did they give any sort of warranty/return terms etc.Did you check the LCD screen when buying? Was "low shutter count" assertion intended to take your attention away from the LCD issue by not mentioning it?
Try getting refund/repair/replacement if not,it is sheer bad luck,you may have foot the bill for a new lcd or will have to live with it
wanaclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2015, 2:54 AM   #4

The good old low shutter count scam

Where the user changes the the count setting from continuous to reset, then formats the card, then after a few hundred shots changes it back to continuous again.

There is sometimes a Bios trick to show the true shutter count but never take the file number on the card as gospel as its too easy to rig.

Not say that's what happened here though

Paul
Paul-H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2015, 6:50 PM   #5

I knew about the lcd problem and got it for a really cheap price.
The shutter count is legit since I checked it with a software by plugging it into the computer, not by file count.
I was told by a shop that it's likely the wiring harness from the lcd to the main board.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 11:36 PM   #6

Sounds like a cable connection problem between the LCD and camera body. Loose connection or bad cable.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2015, 11:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_spock View Post
Sounds like a cable connection problem between the LCD and camera body. Loose connection or bad cable.
Weird how the problem happens right when the image is inverted and not gradually as I rotate it. Hopefully it's not the LCD driver or something on the main board, though the cable is not easy to find new.