Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old May 14, 2015, 9:49 PM   #1

Default Controlling dual cards, 7D Mark II

I'm not at all clear about using the two cards in my 7D Mark II

I thought it was answered in another forum, however I was at school sans camera. When I got home, I realized it didn't help me much.

I've read pages 94-95 in the users manual numerous times, but I'm not understanding it.

1. How do I switch between having the CF or the SD card as the main card and the other as backup.

2. Which setting do I use so it seamlessly will switch from one to the other card.
Kalispell, MT
Joe-1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2015, 8:16 AM   #2

The 7D Mk II has two memory card slots. One is for a CF Card, while the other is for an SD Card.

You can control how you want the camera to use the two cards via the Record func+card/folder sel. command on the Setup1 Menu. There are four options:
  1. Standard - Images will be stored (only) on the card you select.
  2. Auto switch card - Images will be stored on the card you select until it becomes filled, at which point the camera will start storing new images on the other card.
  3. Rec. separately - Images will be stored on both cards, but with (potentially) different settings. For instance, you could choose to store Large JPEG images on the SD card and RAW images on the CF card.
  4. Rec. to multiple - Images will be stored to both cards with the same settings. This would mean that the two cards would store the exact same images with the exact same settings. With this option, you'd have a backup of all your work.
So ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-1957 View Post
1. How do I switch between having the CF or the SD card as the main card and the other as backup.
The last setting, Rec. to multiple, would record the same images with the same settings to both cards. There's no difference between them, so it doesn't matter which one is the "main card" and which one is the "backup". They're both the same.

Quote:
2. Which setting do I use so it seamlessly will switch from one to the other card.
The second setting, Auto switch card, will automatically switch from one card to the other when the first card is full.

Note that the two settings you asked about are exclusive. That is, you can't have both at the same time. You can't have the camera store the same images to both cards, and then if one fills, automatically switch to the other. If you put 64GB cards in both slots and store the same images on both cards (with the Rec. to multiple setting), they will both fill at the same time, so no switching can occur. Even if you put a larger capacity card in one slot, that card will still have space available when the other card fills, but there's no ability to switch because once one card is full, the camera can't record to both cards any more.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by TCav; May 15, 2015 at 11:56 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2015, 12:23 PM   #3

That helps greatly, thanks.

I guess I asked my question incorrectly. Rather than the word backup, maybe I should have used "secondary card"

I think that Auto Switching is what I want.

Basically, all that I wanted to know was how to set which card to start recording first on, it looks like your reply and manual tells me how to do that. :-)
Kalispell, MT
Joe-1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2015, 9:02 PM   #4
NHL

Quote:
Basically, all that I wanted to know was how to set which card to start recording first on, it looks like your reply and manual tells me how to do that. :-)
The easiest way for me is which card get inserted first
Close the camera door and that card will be the primary

--> The 2nd card you insert after re-opening the door will be your secondary.

Going through the menu takes too much time and it get reverted back to the sequence I just described above...
Old May 29, 2015, 8:12 AM   #5

Pick the quick settings (Q) button menu,
on the bottom line, right side, is an entry to select which card is currently being written to.
That option both shows you the currently selected card and lets you quickly change it.
When the selected card fills it should flop over to the other card if you have that option set.

Though with 128gb and 256gb sd and cf cards dropping in price,
it does take a while to fill them.

Last edited by PeterP; May 29, 2015 at 8:16 AM.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote