Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 8, 2004, 3:23 PM   #11

The best equipment in the wrong hands will get crappy results. This camera is a GREAT beginner - amateur dSLR. I have read more BS about this camera then I care to repeat (most from ppl that use it for 5-10mins). Half the people that complain about what it lacks are just going down the specification list and comparing it against the 10D or D100... Dumb move. The price point is what is this cameras selling point and the features are just fine for most every non-pro. Lack of FEC is a non-issue....... anyone that is SERIOUS about photography BUYS a FLASH UNIT.... This is NOT a point and shoot camera ... dont expect it to compensate for lack of experience.. it can be forgiving to a degree but its not a camera that you flip on and star6t blasting the shutter haphazardly. If you put this camera with the same lense and flash in the hands of somone that knows what their doing it will produce results that are indeferentiable from a D100/10D with the same accessories.

Real World Specs:

Great battery Life & Fast Charger
True 6 MP images
18-55 Lens for $100 more - you cant buy a comparable crisp lense for that $$.
Features: Enough to make you read the manual.
Lightweght and well balanced.

I buy a camera for results not asethetics nor keeping up with the pro with a big black magnesium alloy body., (I dont *need* a weatherproof multigasketed magnesium body - neither do most people) Buy the $899 Body add a L series lens and flash and compare with a 10d or d100 .. if you can spot the difference aside from burst capture spped you have a better eye then me.
mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 4:02 PM   #12

Well said MRKRYZ. The limitations of the DRebel are insignificant for the most part. There have been a LOT of prize winning photos taken by cameras that didn't have 1/2 the features the DRebel has!

I've been shooting 35mm SLR's for 20 years and find the DRebel to be a great camera. Sure there are a few features that I'd like to have, but not one of those missing features have prevented me from getting the picture!
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 4:34 PM   #13

well said mrkyz,

However I will take issue with the following, not big issue mind you, but never the less, issue :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkryz
.... This is NOT a point and shoot camera ... dont expect it to compensate for lack of experience.. it can be forgiving to a degree but its not a camera that you flip on and star6t blasting the shutter haphazardly.
I disagree, although not in theory because you are actually right on the money. But I have to admit that I have had a few great shots, if I do say so myself, 8) with the camera on the green box “point and shoot” mode and also with it in some of the other automatic modes (portrait / landscape). Could those shots have been improved with a more manual setting, yea maybe DOF, WB or some other aspect. Here is a link to an action shot I posted with the thing on 100% automatic sports mode. I’ll be the first to admit its not one of the great shots and its not going to win an award but it is an example of capturing a fast action event in point and shoot mode with no post processing except for reducing the file in size for posting.

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...asc&highlight=

Believe me, I’m not advocating the use of this camera as a point and shoot, I am just saying that a total beginner can get started with it and have modest results from the start.
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 4:40 PM   #14

PKChopper:

I understand your point but what I was trying to articulate is more along the lines of this analogy:

An inexperienced driver can drag race their corvette and fare pretty well against a pinto... But it doesnt mean that they will consistently win or can reproduce the same outcome every time without crashing Let alone beat an experienced driver in the same car

Set the dial to green and take a picture of a fair skinned person in bright sunlight against a reflective background.. hows it look? :twisted:
Old Mar 8, 2004, 5:01 PM   #15

like I said it is a very small issue I take and I did give you credit for being succinct in your post...

But give me that corvette any day and I'll blow the doors off all pintos (unless of course i pop the clutch and stall, but I'll bet I'll still be able to restart the thing and still WIN!!!!!) :twisted:
Old Mar 8, 2004, 5:06 PM   #16

Man....apparently you haven't seen my tricked out Pinto! ROFLOL
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 5:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohenry
I should have known better then to use a car analogy in a photography forum LMAO

Yeah yeah yeah ... and my Gremlin with the big block 454 and Mickey Thompsons can move faster then your Digital Rebels ai-servo focus can track... LOL
Old Mar 8, 2004, 5:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohenry
ohenry...jumping pinto beans do not count, we have to keep this street legal. :lol:
Old Mar 10, 2004, 10:18 AM   #19

If you want to see some images from the 300D ( sounds better than Digital Rebel) go to 2 of my sites where I post.
One of them is of Trains & Railroad related things -
www.railroadforums.com - I post under the name of Railfire there as well & the other one is : www.pbase.com/hurtman
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2004, 1:52 PM   #20

Just an FYI - On the subject of sports/action shots, take a look at the shot of my dog running in the snow in the newest album. I've not had any problems taking these kind of shots w/DRebel using a Tamron 28-300 lens.

http://community.webshots.com/user/johnwmitchell100
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote