Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 3, 2004, 3:08 PM   #1

Default looking for feedback on rebel digital for newbie

i am considering buying a digital rebel soon but i was wondering if there was any downsides from people who actually own this camera?

i have heard all the praise, but no serious negatives. i am pretty much set on buying this camera, but i wanted to know if there was some things "i should know about"?

i am somewhat of a newbie, i have a old point and shoot olimpus digital camera and a elan 7e.

thanks in advanced.
nbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 3, 2004, 3:46 PM   #2

Default Digital Rebel

My Digital Rebel is my 6th digital camera, and is by far the best, and most versatile. I've had it for just over a month, and I have not discovered any downsides. One thing I found interesting and actually a plus for me, is the fact that you can't use the LCD for composing; you must use the viewfinder. From the dawn of digital, I was never able to compose satisfactorily using the LCD; my verticals were never vertical, and my horizontals were never horizontal. With the Digital Rebel, I'm back to better composing. It's a great camera.
kjosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2004, 3:51 PM   #3

There are many recent posts in this section about the DRebel if you browse though and take a look. The feedback is mostly very good; I'm pleased with my DRebel - great price, very intuitive to operate, feels good in the hand and I get great photos. If it were only black! That's a joke, but I'm not going to tell you why - read the links and you'll find out! HA! :P
fporch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2004, 6:34 PM   #4

thanks for the feedback.

i have been reading around here on the rebel, but i wanted first hand from others.

i am so pumped right now, i can wait to get my new cam. all i need now is the $$$ :lol:
nbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2004, 7:26 PM   #5

I've had me Drebel since the first of January, it was an upgrade from a Fuji Finepix S602Zoom (A good camera in its own right). In all I like my camera extremely well, so far I've taken about 800 shots with it including a detailed shoot at a fire scene. One of the very few things I have found negative are not with the camera but with accessories mostly the lack of a reasonably priced ttl dedicated flash that does what I want. The one I will probably settle of cost around $200.
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2004, 7:33 PM   #6

It's a great camera, but be advised that it is NOT a point and shoot camera. In order to get the most out of this camera, you need to learn some photographic basics (nothing difficult -- just mentioning that if you expect to take snapshots like you do with a basic point and shoot, you're going to be unhappy). Other negatives: the cost....although the basic cost is $1000 plus a memory card, you'll find yourself adding lenses and accessories.

If you understand that you're buying a SLR system and want to get into photography, I highly recommend the camera.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2004, 7:49 PM   #7

I like my 300D but there are downsides:
1./ the focusing system is crazy. AI servo is always on but not predictable when it kicks in. (In AV, TV, Manual modes) Therefore usually you cannot fix focus and recompose - during recomposing, the camera losts the fixed focus! Not always but you cannot guess, when! This is ridiculous. ops:

2./ No FEC. You have to buy the expensive 550 EX to have the flash conrol. I would be more clever to buy a 10D and a much cheaper flash. :mrgreen:
Otherwise it's a great camera. :lol:
digiteye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2004, 12:42 AM   #8
M-O

Major drawbacks of 300D for me:

1. Doesn't allow to choose a metering mode I need

2. Consistent significant underexposure with flashes. Worst-in flash macro photography. Can be corrected only if your flash permits FEC (the camera does not). This is apparently a design flaw

I'm also not happy with the dynamic range of the camera.

And employing USB 1.1 in a 2003 6.3 Megapixel camera is simply beyond my understanding.

Enough reasons for me to get rid of it and wait for the next release. But I'm not a beginner.
M-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 10:52 PM   #9

My only downside is the USB 1 interface. The easy solution is to just go buy a card reader.
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 4:05 PM   #10

Default Digital Rebel

I have had mine since October of 2003. I fell inlove with the minute I held it in my hands at the local Best Buy!

I still love it. It is fast and easy to operate.

I get great shots.
Riod is offline   Reply With Quote