Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 5, 2004, 4:40 PM   #1

Default Digicam and rain question

Next week we are going to do a nighttime shoot at the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame for my photography class. Weather is calling for rain or snow and the instructor says we'll go rain or shine. Would I be wise to expose my camera to these elements? It doesn't sound like a good plan to me. Plus, I don't relish the idea of standing in the pouring rain, anyway. But, hey, pls let me know your thoughts on this. Thanks...

Amy
amytude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 5, 2004, 5:14 PM   #2

if you can bring a lens hood (i actually have a conversion lens thing for my teleconverter that works)
and maybe a towel to cover the whole thing....but maybe you can snap some shots in between showers......
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 5:35 PM   #3

What camera do you have? some are more rainproof than others. the 1D series seem pretty much hurricane proof if you ask me - you can use it to pound in nails. The Drebel, on the other hand might not be so durable.
LTBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 6:16 PM   #4

I have a dRebel w/a 28-135 IS lens.

Amy
Old Mar 5, 2004, 6:37 PM   #5

Amy....carry a clear plastic bag to keep the rain off the electronics. Cut a hole in the end of the bag so that the front element of the lens is not affected by the plastic. The rest of the camera is now wearing a rain coat.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 6:38 PM   #6

Default One word...

One gallon zip lock freezer bags & duct tape. Bag the camera, cut a hole for the lens & duct tape the hole around the end of the lens & work the controls through the plastic (practice at home first).
Old Mar 5, 2004, 8:24 PM   #7

Oh, those are good ideas. You never know, it's Cleveland in March. It could be 75 degrees or snowing. Thanks for the tips.

Amy
Old Mar 22, 2004, 3:26 PM   #8

I second the cheap clear garbage bags. I went out to shoot the implosion of veterans stadium on Sunday and I was watching the 'pro's at work. All of them set their remotes up and used garbage bags that were taped to the lens hoods and pre set for composition and focus.

All of them had remote radio slave triggers that allowed them to shoot from indoors with another camera while their slaves in the open shot at the same time.

I plan on carrying a roll of the really light clear garbage can stuff in my bag along with a smaller roll of gaffers tape...

The things you learn when you watch the pros...
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 10:09 PM   #9

Good thoughts. I have wondered about that problem myself.
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote