Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 8, 2004, 10:06 AM   #1

Default CANON EF 75-300 75-300mm 4-5.6 III

Anyone have any experience using this lense on a 300D? Positive/Negative Feedback?
mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2004, 10:40 AM   #2

Default Re: CANON EF 75-300 75-300mm 4-5.6 III

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkryz
Anyone have any experience using this lense on a 300D? Positive/Negative Feedback?
I have the IS version and it's OK. Not the sharpest at the edges or wide open, on the softer side from 200-300 range unless you use an aperture in the f/8 area. The focus is slower than other Canon lenses. The build quality isn't the best. I have seen others strongly hating their lens and others raving about it. I would say it's relative to what you're comparing it against. It is definately not the sharpest lens available, but it can produce some wonderful photos.

All of these photos except for one or two were taken with that lens

http://www.never3putt.com/gallery.htm
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 8:05 PM   #3
w2m

Default I have one too

I can not afford an "L" lens, but meanwhile the 75-300 USM seems to do ok outdoors with good light... or indoors with a flash. Light seems to be the key for this lens at least for me.
:lol:

http://www.pbase.com/w2m/adirondack_one

or an example in good light:

Bill
w2m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 10:27 PM   #4

w2m...

You make an extremely good case for the purchase of this particular lens. Some nice captures and it looks like you had a great time with that ol' chick-a-dee.

This is assuming that you used that 75-300 lens for most or all of the shots in your album.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 11:06 PM   #5

I have the non-USM version - it's okay. Not as good as my 70-210f2.8, but it's much lighter.

I wouldn't bother getting the USM version - it is not the ring motor USM so there is no full time manual. I didn't see any real benefit for spending the extra money for the slightly fast auto focus.

It is a good 'second lens' to get, but at the long end you'll have problems handholding it - with the 1.7x cropping factor you'll have an equivalent to a 510mm lens. The rule of thumb says you need at least a 1/500s shutter speed at that point and with the f5.6 aperature you may have to up the ISO.

What do you want the lens for?

Everything said - I bought one and I do use it when I don't want to carry a heavy lens. The 70-200f4L seems to get good reviews but it's much pricier so it ought to.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 11:38 PM   #6

I am looking into a *decent* telephoto to be able to get shots that I am unable to get with the 18-55 and primarily for astrophotography (lunar). Unfortunately for me I spent a wad over the years on glass for my nikon so its tough to put out the money for a 2.8 400mm these days
mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2004, 8:34 AM   #7
w2m

Default Most of the shots with 75-300 USM

Yes. Most of the shots except for the scenic barn shots were taken with the 75-300 USM. I have a number of other shots, but there are among the best. Of course I have taken a lot that were discarded because of low light, subject movement at low shutter speed. Some day I'd like to get the Bigma 50-500 or 170-500.
w2m is offline   Reply With Quote