Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 8, 2004, 9:56 PM   #1

Default 10D / 300D owners. How often do you use the center AF point?

Hiyas all,

What AF mode do you use most often? Do you use the center AF point only, and re-compose if necessary? Or do you rely on the 7 AF points to do the work for you?

Myself I almost always use the center AF point, and re-compose. But then I'm not often shooting moving subjects that I want to track. Maybe that is a good use for all 7 AF points and AI-servo mode?

Would love to hear your experiences and what works for you!

Thanks,
Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2004, 10:02 PM   #2

Center Point in Manual mode 75% of the time....... Unless I am as you mentioned tracking swift moving subjects ...
mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 10:23 PM   #3

I am using the center AF point on my 10D 90%+ of the time. I dont know about anyone else, but sometimes the camera just picking an arbitrary point out of the 7 is damn annoying!
As with what seems to be the norm, I only let the camera pick the Af point when I am on servo focus and tracking moving subjects.
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 11:14 PM   #4

I use the center point almost exclusively, mainly because I think it's just a habit going back to when that was the only option with my F4, and further back because for the 20+ years prior to that, the center point was where the main focus aid was in my manual cameras.

I am trying to get into the habit of manually changing to the point I want, mainly for flash exposures, so I don't have to use the FE lock and expose the subject to the pre-flash burst.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 1:05 AM   #5

Usually the center point, but will sometimes choose one of the other points....NEVER use all 7!!!!
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 2:43 AM   #6

Center mode 90% of the time.
5% manual and 5% other points.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 6:21 AM   #7

Center Point Focus always except as noted above around faster moving subjects. :lol:
lauricel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 8:47 AM   #8

I always use the center point. I recompose as necessary.

I don't change which AF point it set when I'm tracking a moving object. Once the AF locks on in AI Servro, it continues tracking with all AF points (I believe... at least it seems to work that way.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 9:57 AM   #9

Hi Eric,

Are you saying that even if you have only the center AF point selected, that the camera will switch to all 7 in AI servo mode? That I didn't know.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 3:30 PM   #10

I'm still growing accustomed to my first dSLR, but it seems to me that the AF wants to focus on the closest object that falls under one of the 7 points. This is OK if you're shooting family gatherings, etc. but bad if you're trying to pick someone out of a crowd or (my example) shooting a performer on stage with the audience between you and the subject.

So I suspect I'll be using single-point or manual for 95% of my shots as well. I'm not yet comfortable with changing back and forth between MF and AF though; that tiny slide switch still requires conscious effort while I'm composing a shot...
GregDunn is offline   Reply With Quote