Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 9, 2004, 10:09 PM   #1

Default My Bigma-ma has finally arrived!

Hey, hey hey, that long delayed Bigma 50-500 finally arrived in one huge piece...not as huge as I expected, but definitely not small. It's one nicely built lens and comes with a strong and well balanced tripod attachment.

The thing that amazes me mostly, right off hand, is the sharpness of hand-held shots. Of course I haven't had a huge amount of time to test fire and upload.

Looks to me like it's got great potential, especially for spring shooting outdoors.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2004, 10:55 PM   #2

I look forward to seeing some of your shots.
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2004, 1:53 AM   #3

Gratz Norm. Now for some cool pictures!

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2004, 10:51 PM   #4

Well, my first excursion with Bigma was a bit different than I would have expected. I got wrapped up in my surroundings and went off on a bit of a tangent...

http://www.brrd.ab.ca/nnorway/carrweb/nature1.htm

Ended up doing more long distance shots with the 70-200 F4.
Old Mar 14, 2004, 12:21 AM   #5

Pretty cool, I like the one in the middle with the dark tree branches and the white snow in the background. Nice exposure! All done with the Bigma?

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2004, 9:59 PM   #6

Barthold...

Thanks for having a look and, yes, all was done witth the 50-500.
I did some hand-held things last night with the on-camera flash after boosting my ISO up to 800 (I've always shot at either 100 or 200 with the Rebel because I was worried about noise after being used to the noise on the G5 and FZ10 at higher ISO). I was extremely pleased -- even somewhat surprised -- with the sharpness and contrast this lens seemed to provide. I'm not a tiny person and it's weight without the tripod sleeve didn't phase me even after 15 or 20 minutes of continued shooting.

The more I play with this thing the more I like it. I'm beginning to think that all of that extra "weight" is just the weight of quality glass showing it's characteristics. After playing with the Bigma for 20 to 30 minutes, I screwed the 70-200 F4 on and it felt like it wasn't even there!

I definitely see the positives in having such a range in one lens.

I have a feeling I may be trying this lens out even in the basketball court this week. It seemed to even out-perform the 70-200 F4 once the ISO was boosted a touch. And in all honesty I don't perceive any problem with hand-holding from 50mm up to 300, but I'm sure that beyond that in order to get anything sharp I'll need at least the monopod.
Old Mar 27, 2004, 9:55 AM   #7

Could be me but I dont think the shots in your gallery are very sharp.
rextilleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 11:08 PM   #8

Quote:
I did some hand-held things last night with the on-camera flash after boosting my ISO up to 800 (I've always shot at either 100 or 200 with the Rebel because I was worried about noise after being used to the noise on the G5 and FZ10 at higher ISO). I was extremely pleased -- even somewhat surprised -- with the sharpness
Rex, my essential objective on that gallery outing wasn't sharpness but mood, that's why I said that I strayed a bit from my intention to actually test the lens. Note above that my quest for "sharpness" arrived following that outing. I didn't post any sample photos of my little tests because they are a bit less than artistic. However, following my reading of your commentary I decided to post a couple from that night that I just happened to have stored on my puter. Here they are at resized to 800. Please forgive the "subject" matter as I was rushing about the room shooting anything I could see; these are 3 examples, all hand-held with Sigma 50-500:

Weights

Belt

Woven rug

Well, that's what I meant by "sharp"