Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 10, 2004, 1:52 PM   #1

Default 1st post newbie help requested

I am looking at purchasing a better digital (have the "old" Canon G1). I am looking for something that would take great action shots of my Kids Surfing and general shots that you need to reach out there somewhat. Was looking at the Rebel so that I could change the lens to what I need it for. Is this a good choice or what about the Powershot Pro1.

I know camera basics and am tempted to take some classes. Am heavily leaning towards the Rebel but need to learn more about the Pro1.

Thanks
wfmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2004, 7:30 PM   #2

the 300D (rebel) is a system which you can grow with. You will most likely buy accessories and it sounds like additional lenses. When and if it ever comes time to upgrade the body you just buy another canon and it will be just another piece of the system. That is the beauty of buying into the DSLR system; you don't have to start completely over when you wish to change or add a component.

Good luck with you future purchase
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2004, 11:27 PM   #3

The advantage (and curse) of the DRebel is that you can add lenses. This lets you get shots of the kids surfing (i.e. they are far away, so you need telephoto reach) but long telephoto lenses are very expensive... we're talking 1,500 to 8 thousand dollars. But you'll get quality that very few fixed lens cameras can match.

The DRebel also has a fast AF system and low shutter speed. Therefor you'll have an easier time getting action shots.

If you can swallow the cost and don't mind carrying the extra weight, the DRebel will do the things you want better than most cameras. I don't know about the Pro1, but I doubt its AF or shutter lag is good enough for action shots.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2004, 10:44 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies, yeah after much thinking I am heading out today to play with the Rebel at my local shop. I know what you mean as far as lens go geeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzz. I am researching them now !!!
wfmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2004, 11:05 AM   #5

I am very happy you are going to "play" with the camera. That is something important that many people don't realize. you should try it out and make sure it fits your hand size. That the button placement is good... that you like its "Feel".

Personally, there were some design and cost reduction choices of the drebel that I don't like (I own the 10D) but they aren't necessarily bad... just not for me. When you try out the camera, make sure you test it in different modes (TV, AV, manual) and see if how you chance settings makes sense to you.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote