Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 18, 2004, 5:53 PM   #1
kvk

Default Is a used D60 a good way to go?

I'm looking for my first DSLR. I'm not a pro. I been pulling my hair out tring to decide on where to go. The 10D is really out of my price range. The DR look like a good camera but I'm afraid that I might get where I wished that I had some of the missing features. The d70 looks good also but I'm a little worried about the picture quality and I like taking night long exposure shots. I don't want to wait on the noise reduction . So whats wrong with a used D60. I don't hear much about it.

Ken
kvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2004, 7:35 PM   #2

Not many things. The D60 is not a bad camera, it's just that the 10D is so much of a better camera that is overshadows it.

Two thoughts:

1) The D60 had focusing problems in some situations. The problem is that I don't know what situations as I don't have one and I didn't research it when I got my 10D. This might be a deal breaker for you, or a non-issue. All depends on when.

2) digital noise. One thing that is almost always true is that newer sensors produce less noise than older ones at higher IOSs. Make sure that the noise levels of the D60 are acceptable for you.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 8:03 PM   #3

*looks at his sig*
Uhm, The D30/D60's have good noise reduction; there is a focusing issue in low light situations. Not 100% sure on that one because it varies from person from person; I'm sure theres a tradeoff with how you use the camera as well.

The best thing a consumer can do in the case of such a monumental purchase would be to do the research and decide on your own.

I'd base my decision from a combination of what 3 or 4 different sites say.
huckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 9:00 PM   #4

If you are NOT a pro or seasoned enthusiast your best bet is the 300d. By the time you figure out what features you are missing or need you can upgrade your body and step up to the 10D's or any of the other newer canon's at the time. Realistically if your new to digital SLR's this camera will serve you well for 2 years before you might begin to "want" for more features. In the interim it will provide you with outstading image quality.. and more importantly an understanding of how to take great photos.
mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 11:31 PM   #5

huckle

Hey, I didn't say the D60 was a bad camera.

"good noise reduction" is a subjective statement. I just spend some time comparing pictures at imaging-resource.com between the 10D and D60. I find the levels of noise at 400ISO has a noticable difference between the 10D and D60. Personally, I find the 10D's noise at 400ISO to be ok, but not great. But hey, it's better than 400ISO film so I'm not complaining. The D60's noise isn't bad until it gets into shadows, and then it's beyond what I consider to be acceptable.

But as you say "look at his sig". I chose the 10D because, at the time, the D60 was out of production (so I didn't consider it) and the 10D had the lens selection vs. the D100.

But you are completely right, kvk should look at the reviews at different sites and see what people thing. Compare features and picture quality. In the end, I bet both are good cameras.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 11:45 PM   #6

Needless to say, if I had the pescos, I'd have the 10D in a heartbeat.
I just get sick of wasting tissues and changing shirts when I drool at things like the 10D, or 1D/s

It's all good though- cause Inevitably we'll be packin the canon logo's with the EF lenses....
*glances at the forum name*
yup it's safe to say that :twisted:
Old Mar 20, 2004, 8:25 AM   #7

Well, I will say it for you - the D60 in comparison to the 10D or Digital Rebel can very well be a bad camera in some people's eyes.

In my eyes, I would take the DR over the D60 in a heart beat. The difference is so great it is almost in a different league. On the D60, the noise is poor at 400 and above, really poor. A world of difference when you move up to the DR. At 400 you barely notice any noise at all, and the camera has beautiful usable results all the way to 1600.

Focusing: The D60 was a slap in the face to Canon users in the focusing department. The loudest complaint on the D30 from all of us that had it was with the focusing. They were selling a $3k camera with their lowest level focusing system in it. Okay, so Canon slipped up on that one. But knowing how poor it was, and how people really complained about it, what is the excuse for the D60? None. That should have never happened, and 8 months later they brought out the 10D.

How poor in the focusing on the D60? In my opinion VERY poor. And I would change that to EXTREMELY poor if you had anything higher than a 2.8 lens on the camera. Is it poor enough to not buy the camera. Again, in my opinion - YES, very much so.

I had the 10D which I sold in preparation to receive the new Mark II. I have kept the DR as a backup for the Mark II and as my walk around camera. I have no regrets except for writing speed on the RAW files. And for that feature, you need to move up to the 1D series, the 10D isn't much better.

So between the D60 and the DR, for me, the DR is today's technology and the D60 is yesterdays mistake from Canon, plus yesterday's technology in the CMOS department. In every camera since the D30, the color has gotten better and better. The DR has the best color of all Canon's cameras including the 1D. That isn't a mistake though, it is Canon's R&D moving them forward all the time. Can I see the difference between the color of the D60 verses the DR? most definitely yes. It is better.

~Peter
Peter Gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2004, 11:06 AM   #8

I'd have to disagree there- I've seen -many- good pictures up to ISO 800 from the D30/D60. I'd say about half had somewhat visable noise but nothing to gripe about, the iso 1600 noise is pretty bad though- that's enough to gripe about. But I dont need iso 1600 so I dont care;

Budget wise, the DR is out of range, if he was going to pay for a new DR, he'd better just pay for a 10D. However that's not the case budget wise.
Old Mar 22, 2004, 8:17 AM   #9
DTL

I currently own both the D60 and DR. I purchased the D60 Spring of 2002 and it hooked me on the pluses of DSLR's (I have owned several point 'n shoots over the past several years, 6 to be exact).
When the DR was announced, I purchased it right away and did some A/B comparisons. Improved low-light focus was what I first noticed and a bit better color fidelity right out of the camera. Other than that, I cannot complain about the D60. The "missing" features on the DR narrow the improvement gap.
I must also comment on the "kit" lens that came with the DR....much better that I had anticipated. Please keep in mind, all DSLR's require some post shooting work in PS and once this is done, the differences between the two becomes blurred.
I bought the DR for my daughter, but as it turned out, she wanted something a bit smaller so I gave her a Canon G5...consequently, I'll be selling the D60. Hope this helped.
DTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 5:07 PM   #10
kvk

Thanks for all of the GREAT info. Since I posted this question the d70 has hit the market and it seems to have alot of problems. So I think if off my list of possiblities. The DR is probaly my front runner allthough I'm still afraid that I might miss the features in the near future. This will be my first DSLR but my thrid SLR i have never really had any thing else. My AE1P relly didn't have many features but it treated me well for twenty years. I recently went to a maxiun 5 and haven't really used all of its features yet. Now that i have discovered PS I really only want to shoot digital. I now only have a kodak DC290, but that is all that I'm using until I can get me a DSLR. Thanks again. I think I going with the DR unless I can find a way to go for the 10D.

Ken
kvk is offline   Reply With Quote