Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 18, 2004, 10:27 PM   #1

Default Canon IS Wishlist

I sat down today thinking about which glass to buy that is stabilized and sharp with good telephoto coverage and a thought occured to me:

Image stabilized lenses are by far very useful for longer shutter handheld photography. But the price per lens for IS is significantly greater per lens. Why is it that Canon hasn't applied the principles of IS to the camera rather then each lense? I dont mean the software routines to compare frames and contrast areas but rather optical plates that are servo controlled in conjunction with the active focal point(s) to maintain perpendicular light transmittence. I know it sounds far fetched or possibly scifi .. but in theory this doesnt seem much more complex an integration then the new generation of L IS glass....

Or maybe its the 2nd glass of wine talking LOL
mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2004, 10:34 PM   #2

Well, Minolta has done exactly that with their A1 and A2 digicams. As far as I know it works very well. On the issue of Canon doing it.. who knows? We can always wait and see, beg, dream, modify the cameras ourselves.... :lol:
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 12:53 AM   #3

Makes perfect sense; however it's that little thing called 'utility'. As long as they can sell these expensive IS L lenses, they'll make more money than making a camera that has built in IS. Furthermore, it offers utility to the camera users who won't have the built in IS setup. So technically I'm sure it's been considered and was a smart business move on canon's behalf, technically they're being nice to the consumers.
huckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 1:13 AM   #4

Well maybe for digicams and entry level dSLR's ... However I think that this feature implemented in a 1Ds would push it off the shelves faster then they could meet supply with... not to mention increase market share (not for existing Nikon pro's) but surely for anyone ready to start out or that is considering jumping ship. Even introducing this feature would sway a large market segment of 10D, 1d and film canon users to hop onto the "new" boat. paying an extra 3-4K upfront and saving $$ over a series of lenses especially "L" lenses would guaruntee higher net sales of top echelon dSLR like the 1DS becuase the "L" glass would still me the mainstay but now have added benifit of IS. The idea of being able to select lens IS or camera IS would ensure backward compatability for the entire EF mount lenses, surely compelling enough to prevent current users from switching camps to Nikon/Fuji/Minolta etc... With a cascaded roll out starting with 1Ds and gradually into the less expenive dSLR canon lines I think it would ensure market dominance......
Old Mar 19, 2004, 6:25 AM   #5
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkryz
With a cascaded roll out starting with 1Ds and gradually into the less expenive dSLR canon lines I think it would ensure market dominance...
Canon does not have to try very hard according to this new release: http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html

"Canon sold 600,000 digital SLRs in 2003, capturing 70 percent of the rapidly growing market and leaving Nikon, which did not have a camera anywhere near the "EOS Kiss" model's price range, in second place with 30 percent.

Nikon, for its part, will launch a new digital SLR this Friday called the "D70" to compete with Canon. It will also sell for around 120,000 yen and is expected to attract solid demand given that Nikon has sold millions of lenses and analog SLRs. While analysts expect the "D70" to help Nikon recapture some of its lost market share, competition will only get tougher with rivals like Konica Minolta planning to launch its new Maxxum 7 digital SLR later this year. " With the Maxxum 7 dSLR having IS in the body as well!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 10:53 AM   #6

I need to start reading the press releases LOL ... and consider a R&D job for canon LOL I got the right idea... just got picked up by the wrong manufacturer... LOL
Old Mar 19, 2004, 11:02 AM   #7

And to extend what huckle said, it takes someone else with out the same vested interests to drive the market in a different direction (adding IS into the camera.)

If that camera takes off, it could eventually scare Canon and others to put IS into the camera. Basically an outside force pressuring them to do what otherwise it wouldn't have been in their interest to do.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 2:51 PM   #8
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
If that camera takes off, it could eventually scare Canon and others to put IS into the camera. Basically an outside force pressuring them to do what otherwise it wouldn't have been in their interest to do.
Really?
... They have practically market dominance with their white (anti-heat) IS L-Lenses, a big lost in revenue here if they ever decide to put the IS inside the camera.

BTW there's been rumour of 3rd party lens manufacturers putting the IS in the Teleconverter which will make it truly camera independent and even backward compatible with older bodies...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 3:47 PM   #9

My point is that if someone produced a system that has IS in the camera, and produces good lenses... and they were much cheaper than Canon I wonder if the public would speak with their dollars. buying this other system because all the lenses are cheaper but still good and you get IS everywhere. OF course, the camera is more than just an IS device, so it would have to have good metering and AF and all that.

It could eventually drive Canon to either reduce the price or put IS into the camera.

Of course, the only one I see doing it (that would matter) would be Nikon. And since they spent so long producing the 80-200 VR, I don't see them throwing all that research away by coming out with the D2x with VR built in (although that would be a killer camera if they did!)

Of course, its probably more likely to have them go into a price war and drive the little guy out of business.

That is a prediction of Thom Hogan's for this year. It does seem interesting, including a 1x "TC" that just gave IS.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 5:10 PM   #10

Hmmm... which brings about something interesting.... stackable IS :twisted:
huckle is offline   Reply With Quote