Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 1, 2017, 10:00 AM   #1

Default Simplified Manual Settings

I am new to Digital SLR and am dismayed at the difficulty in using my Canon EOS 70D.
I used a Pentax 35mm film SLR for years and enjoyed the ease in adjusting shutter speed and f-stop adjustments.
Using my Canon D-SLR, I have to search for adjustments, using their recommended method. Their menu is huge with innumerable options.
Is there a Digital SLR out there that utilizes something akin to the old 35mm SLR style of manual settings for shutter speed and f-stop?
I'm nearly 70 years old and simply don't have the energy nor the time to depend on "years of hands on experience." 😞 thnx

Last edited by Rob76365; Feb 1, 2017 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Misspelling
Rob76365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2017, 5:51 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob76365 View Post
I am new to Digital SLR and am dismayed at the difficulty in using my Canon EOS 70D. I used a Pentax 35mm film SLR for years and enjoyed the ease in adjusting shutter speed and f-stop adjustments.

Using my Canon D-SLR, I have to search for adjustments, using their recommended method. Their menu is huge with innumerable options. Is there a Digital SLR out there that utilizes something akin to the old 35mm SLR style of manual settings for shutter speed and f-stop?

I'm nearly 70 years old and simply don't have the energy nor the time to depend on "years of hands on experience." 😞 thnx
G'day Rob

Firstly - Welcome to Steve's photo forum ... you'll find heaps of like-minded people here and most will have heaps of info to offer you to help you along the way

As to your current issues -
Back in film camera days, you would have chosen "A" mode or "S" mode depending on the subject, and then let the camera choose the appropriate shutter speed or aperture and away you went

Today is just the same ... If you want a specific shutter speed, dial "T" [for shutter-time] or "A" as per usual and away you go

Another option you have - which was not on your film camera - is "P" for Program. Program is semi-auto, whereby the camera will choose a 'good' shutter speed and a 'good' aperture for you - and show those settings to you in the viewfinder

If you're okay with those settings, then go ahead and take the picture
However - and this is the nice bit - if you wish to alter either the speed or the aperture, you simply turn the rolly wheel just near the shutter button and you will see the speeds and apertures going up or down, and when you get to the desired settings, just 'click' away

The other big change from film days is the ISO settings. Back then you had 36 frames of a fixed ISO and that was it. Today you can alter the ISO if you wish for every pic you take. It's a bit silly to change it for every pic, so most of us use the menu option of "Auto 100 to 800", meaning that you are allowing the camera to usually work around 100-ISO, but on occasion it will float upwards a bit, possibly to 800-ISO if needed

This then becomes very useful with the 70-300 long lens that might need f16 for depth of field and you also need 1/500sec to avoid camera shake. By allowing the ISO to float, you can shoot your pic easily and with little 'fiddling' and possibly losing the subject via the time delay between setting & shooting

Hope this helps
Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote