Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 22, 2017, 6:10 PM   #1

Default Green tint in RAW

I have an old EOS 350 DSLR I've started using again recently and I've noticed a greenish tint to RAW images that I'm having to correct for in photoshop every time. I take JPEG at the same time and I don't see the tint there so maybe there's some correction built in in compiling the jpeg from the raw on the camera?

Anyway, is this something I can correct with a setting on the camera or do I need to take it in to a store?

Thanks
prouss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2017, 3:56 AM   #2
NHL

IMO this has to do more with your computer than the camera

The white balance (WB) has no effect on a RAW image, but when you open this image up on your computer, it does. The default setting in your RAW converter on your PC is probably not set to 'as shot' or on 'Auto', but most likely to 'fluorescent' to have a green tint on the image...
Old Sep 27, 2017, 10:33 AM   #3

Thanks for replying but no, the RAW default is "As shot". Also I tried on a different computer to be sure there wasn't some issue with the display setting on the first one and I had the same problem.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:25 PM   #4

It sounds as if the Raw converter is not properly recognizing your camera. Which Raw developer are you using, and does it support your model? There should be a list of supported cameras for it. Even if the Raw format is the same, the weight given to each of the color pixels may be different from one model camera to another of the same maker. This occurs because the Bayer filter has twice as many green pixels as either red or blue, and the amplification value assigned to the red and blue pixels is critical in getting correct balance.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:07 PM   #5

The default setting of AWB (Auto White Balance) would correct for any color cast in your JPEG images, but your RAW files contain the color and luminance actually detected by the image sensor, along with a number of settings, including the color temperature. Canon programs that you may use to read the RAW files should read those settings and make the necessary corrections, but non-Canon programs may not.

I think it's possible that whatever program you're using isn't applying the color temperature that the camera applied to the JPEG files.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:58 PM   #6

Reset all the functions or just reset the camera once, it may help you solve the problem.
Maitri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2017, 1:36 PM   #7

So many replies, thanks!

In turn:

1. Vtphotog: not sure how to tell. I'm using Photoshop Elements 6 (yes, old school with both camera and software) and whatever RAW plug-in it came with or has updated to over the years. Where would it tell me what camera compatibility it has?

2. TCav: good point, although this is a relatively new problem, I used to have no problem using the Adobe RAW converter in Elements with this camera.

3.Maitri: reset all functions (on the camera?)/reset the camera - how do I do that?

Thanks again
Old Sep 29, 2017, 9:21 PM   #8

The Adobe Raw plugin should have an 'about' tab which will tell you the version or revision number. Checking Adobe's website for support on Adobe Camera Raw should lead you to a link for supported cameras. It may also show an update, if there is one available.
If your jpeg images are OK, the problem is unlikely to be the camera, and more likely to be the Raw converter.
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2017, 10:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by prouss View Post
2. TCav: good point, although this is a relatively new problem, I used to have no problem using the Adobe RAW converter in Elements with this camera.
The green tint might be a result of a change in lighting for your more recent photos.

See if you get the same green tint for photos taken outside in daylight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prouss View Post
3.Maitri: reset all functions (on the camera?)/reset the camera - how do I do that?
1. Set the mode dial to one of A-DEP, M Av, Tv, or P.
2. On the Set-up 2 (wrench and hammer icon) menu, select Clear Settings, then Clear all camera settings, and Ok. Then do it all again and Clear all custom functions.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote