Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 23, 2004, 10:15 PM   #11
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normcar
NHL, here's my question:

If you had the cash and you were a sports photographer and that was all that you did, what lens would you purchase, the Sigma or the Canon IS?
... Of course it would be the 70-200 IS f/2.8; However, everyone has a budget with different needs(may be want) and also the willingness to step outside the Canon box: I had Canon FD's for a long time... went on to the Minolta's camp simply because they invented autofocus with lots of innovative features built into their bodies and "G" lenses, and now back to Canon camp again for Digital (BTW I picked up a used Nikon F5 last X-mas for my collection).

I also always wanted the 300mm f/2.8 which is still missing from my digital, and the 120-300mm f2.8 EX APO HSM is very affordable, thus I rather have this lens instead of spending it on the 70-200 IS f/2.8 (and I should have gotten it instead of getting the Bigma last year)... As for the 70-200 f/2.8 non-IS, IMO it's a non-starter. Beside I actually prefer my lens black, some people like getting the attention but not me!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 10:41 PM   #12

Thanks for all the replies.

Mr_Saginaw, when you use your Sigma 70-200, do you use it handheld or do you use a monopod ?

Does a monopod fit into a backpack or do you have to carry it around? any recommendations for monopods?
KeithofHB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 10:54 PM   #13

Ohenry...

The question I want answered is the one that you can answer because you have the IS version.

For sports is it necessary? Advantageous? Or is the non IS "just" as good for sports. I don't give a hoot about stable wildlife shots since I have the Sigma 500 and with a tripod I will be able to get much more than the 70-200 would be able to dream of.

Please answer me on the IS question. You own the lens and know how it performs.
Normcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 11:06 PM   #14

Norm, it would depend entirely on what you're trying to do. If you have a shutter speed of 1/500sec, I don't think you'd gain any advantages except perhaps while panning. I have taken pictures at f/2.8, 200 mm at 1/8 second but it wasn't a basketball player running down court. I don't shoot basketball, so I don't know what shutter speeds you require to stop the action. If it is less than 1/500, I think you might see some improvement...not on the motion blur caused by the movement of the player, but from any shake you may induce to the camera itself. I do shoot birds in flight at shutter speeds of around 1/500 or higher and I think the IS helps since I need to move the camera quickly to capture the shot. I don't have side-by-side comparisons to quantify or even back my suspicions. Bottom line....I don't think I can give you a resounding nod in either direction. Sorry, I couldn't be more definative.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 11:10 PM   #15

Ohenry...

Thanks, you've answered my question well.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 7:43 AM   #16
NHL

Normcar

My 2c anyway (could even save you money!):
1 - People exploit their 200 or 300 f/2.8 for their Bokeh in outdoor portraits/fashions/models, the fact that it might be useful for low-light indoor is only a secondary benefit.
2 - For your basketball pictures you want more DOF, because of the subjects grouping (... you know that already) and fast actions (ie AF locking correctly). Remember the French Open pictures that you liked so much which were all taken at f/5.6-6.7? Your 70-200 f/4 can do this already -> you need better strobes[PERIOD] No magic bullet here with IS or f/2.8 since the short flash bursts will freeze everything while the DOF expand your coverage!

What get me is some members here like Fporch get excellent results from economical Tamron, while others like Frank and Tomsch made memorable shots using exlusively Sigma lenses. I myself get fantastic results with the cheap 17-35 when everyone else call it a piece of junk! Have you seen any "L" pictures lately (and I own some) or have you read more about it? Remember theses are just tools... you have to learn how to use it. There's a diminishing return here: I can buy myself a $2000 tennis racket, but I'm not going to beat Mc Enroe!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 12:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithofHB
Thanks for all the replies.

Mr_Saginaw, when you use your Sigma 70-200, do you use it handheld or do you use a monopod ?

Does a monopod fit into a backpack or do you have to carry it around? any recommendations for monopods?
I picked up a Rokunar Monopod at a local shop. Relatively inexpensive but pretty heavy duty. 4 segment with a quick release. Has a nice strap and hand grip. I just carry it in my hand... I bought it specifically for the Sigma... I never hand hold... I always stick it on the monopod since the quick release makes it so easy!
Mr_Saginaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2004, 10:02 PM   #18

Quote:
Have you seen any "L" pictures lately
Thanks NHL, you just saved me a few thousand dollars.
Old Mar 24, 2004, 10:31 PM   #19

great thread guys, thanks for the read
PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote