Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 27, 2004, 1:26 PM   #1
DBK

Default Drebel price

With the release of the Nikon D70, have there been any price drops in the Canon? Current Photo mags have advertisements listing the Rebel for $709-749.

Anyone seeing this at reputable sources, like B&H? Or hearing anything like this?
DBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2004, 1:36 PM   #2

I haven't been looking, but I'd be surprised if a reputable place sold at that price.

The reason is that Canon won't undwrite your advertising if you sell at lower than their suggested price. Anyone that does serious advertising wants Canon's money so they don't do it. They also (I believe) threaten to not send you any more stock. I would like to call this a form of price fixing and it certainly is anti-customer. But they get away with it.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 1:55 PM   #3
DBK

Thanks for the reply. I was afraid of something like that. But, that doesn't leave much of a reason NOT to consider the D70.....
DBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 4:29 PM   #4

#1 reason people wil stick with the drebel is price point. To the amateur or non-educated consumer they will read this

Digital Rebel Kit w/lens = $999
D70 Kit w/lens = $1299

Difference is $300 or about 1/3 savings over the D70 kit. Which is enough for bag + memory card + cheap additional lens.

Serious photographers will want features both lack.... and opt for a D100 or 10D.
mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote