Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 27, 2004, 4:59 PM   #1

Default SanDisk Ultra II and Canon Digital Rebel

Sorry if this is a dumb question but will the SanDisk Ultra II compact flash card work with the Digital Rebel? I don't want to end up buying it and then find out that the Rebel can't use
choeschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2004, 5:11 PM   #2

Most definitly, this card rocks with the 300D
Eric CAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2004, 7:50 PM   #3

Sweet, I will add it to my shopping cart.
Old Mar 27, 2004, 8:26 PM   #4

I am using a 512MB version of the Ultra II and it is actually noticeably faster than the 4x version of the same card.
GregDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2004, 7:16 AM   #5

GregDunn

Were you being serious? If so... the Ultra II should be much faster. Have you seen the price difference?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2004, 11:31 AM   #6

Sure -- well, it's not going to be all that much faster than the slow card, due to the limitations of the camera's hardware. According to the robgalbraith.com article, even the very fastest cards are only about 75% faster than the slowest on the Rebel; subjectively mine seems a little less than twice as fast in the camera, so that's about right. If I had a 1Ds...

As for price, I only checked the half-dozen online retailers that I am comfortable with, and there was typically a $30 or less difference for the Ultra II vs. the standard 512MB, which I felt was well worth it.
Old Mar 28, 2004, 12:53 PM   #7

From the CDW web site:

SanDisk 256MB Compact Flash: $62.00
SanDisk Ultra II 256MB Compact Flash: $76.00
Old Mar 28, 2004, 2:08 PM   #8

The Ultra II's have come down that much in price? Wow. Ok, last I checked, they were higher than that.

The 4x model should be a fair amount slower than the Ultra II. While the max write speed of the DRebel is not very high (compared to some DLSRs) 75% is huge when you're waiting for that buffer to flush. I'd consider 700K-per-second faster huge. That is what.... about a second or so in write time saved? For what I take (wild animals) I'd kill for that second.

Eric
Old Mar 28, 2004, 3:29 PM   #9

Yes, at the time I bought mine it was about $135 for the U-II 512MB, and the standard cards were roughly $100; for me that was a no-brainer.

No question, that extra second or two esp. in RAW mode can make or break a sequence. I shoot live concerts often, and many are the times I've had to wait for my old Oly2020 to flush its buffer before continuing. This card + the 300D is so much faster it's almost like shooting with my film SLR again.
Old Mar 29, 2004, 10:10 AM   #10

The reason I don't shoot RAW (but I'll eventually change) is that the 10D just doesn't write them fast enough for me. I often shoot 3 or 4 picture bursts when the action heats up. I never run out of buffer space with jpg. But when I've tried RAW, it always happens at least once an outing. It drives me nuts.

And I'm not using a slow card. Lexar 32x 1G WA. Not the fastest card out there, but not slow.

Eric