Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 3, 2004, 5:55 PM   #1

Default Which additional lenses for a Rebel?

Hi
I have a Canon Rebel. Great camera, which has re-ignited my love of photography. I have a reasonable, but limited budget.

I take standard family photos, but my interests extend to landscapes and nature, especially birds.

Can anyone recommend a set of lenses that would allow me to experiment and make the most of this great camera's abilities?

I have the basic lens that came with it, and have read that a Telephoto and a wide-angle would make a pretty complete setup.

Thanks in advance!
Pelao is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2004, 6:23 PM   #2

Since you mentioned you have a limited budget, the kit lens will suffice as your wide angle and general lens just fine. You might consider adding a medium length telephoto in the 70-200 range. There are a number of options available. Consider Tamron and Sigma as options.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2004, 8:03 AM   #3

Thanks for your advice. I'll have a look at your suggestions.
Old Apr 4, 2004, 9:00 PM   #4

Default A necessary lens...

You should get a 50mm/f1.8 for sure...cheap, excellent glass & shoots in low light like nobodys business.
Old Apr 4, 2004, 11:42 PM   #5

If you really expand your interest into birds you'll want the most reach you can get. But this is difficult on a budget.

If you can accept the lower image quality, consider getting something like the 70-200 listed above and then in the future add a teleconverter on it. That would probably be cheaper than buying a long lens, and you can do it incrementally.

But learn about TCs, they are not a free lunch. Make sure you are happy with the trade-off's they bring.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2004, 10:03 PM   #6

I wouldn't put my funds towards a wide angle lens at first, the kit 18-55 lens is more than adequate and anything that's much better will be bulky and expensive.

I picked up a used Tamron 70-210f2.8 telephoto and I've been quite happy. The lens I use day-to-day is a 28-105 f2.8-4 Sigma that is good from medium to short telephoto - highly suggested.

I'd look at getting a 50mmf1.8 and a medium telephoto zoom. If you do want to do nature shots look at one of the 70-200f2.8 zooms or even the Canon 200mmf2.8 and consider a teleconverter down the road. I find that I'm almost always using the long end of my zooms so I'd like to get a better lens at this optical length.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2004, 10:03 PM   #7

Ursa,
First, love your photos, thanks for sharing them.

And thanks for your advice. the Sigma sounds interesting and not too expensive.

thank you!
Old Apr 8, 2004, 8:32 AM   #8

thanks,

All these shots were done in the Dundas valley - part of Hamilton. I'm going there tomorrow now that there's some green instead of mud and snow. Highly reccomended for nature shots but you do have to watch to ensure you avoid incorporating the steel mills into the background. Nice bokeh or not - steel mills aren't that scenic.

I find that in Toronto, Canon's stuff is so overpriced in comparison to Sigma's that it's hard to justify buying the brand name stuff. Shopping US mail order is a bit better - the pricing difference isn't as large in some cases.

I'd suggest you try Henry's downtown - they have a good selection of lenses new and used. I've been quite happy with the service too. If you're buying a couple of lenses they can sometimes do a deal for you.

Something else I'd get is a good flash - the 420EX is a reasonable value. You'll get better pictures with it and a poorer lens then without and a great lens in many situations.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2004, 12:14 PM   #9

Thanks again. You are the 2nd person to recommend that flash unit.