Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 3, 2004, 11:23 PM   #1

Default Flash Exposure Compensation Firmware Hack II

Some of you know that there has been an effort to "hack/reverse engineer" the 300D firmware by a russian programmer. Well the second revision was posted yesterday and I tried it. Works like a charm. The new hack allow you to adjust FEC in the camera by replacing the WB button function w/FEC compensation. Works like a dream!! Makes life much simpler then using the original FEC set program and connecting via USB. It is not supported by Canon and is a 100% guarunteed way to get NO warranty support for your camera if something goes bonkers. I am unsure if Steve would want me to post a link to the source but if someone is interested let me know and I'll pm you the link. It also enables a slew of custom functions available in the 10D.

This will NOT make your 300D a 10D nor a 1D neither a 1Ds it will not increase fps etc..... but it will make FEC work which is a kick a$$ mod in my book.

Great for addition for macro photography w/o having to adjust shutter or ISO
mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2004, 11:31 PM   #2

Quick simple samples:

Default NO FEC modification:

-2 FEC:

+2 FEC:

Firmware allows compensation in +/- 1/3's
Old Apr 4, 2004, 12:37 AM   #3

Sounds great to me. What does this do to the abioity to set a new White Balance?
bmf2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2004, 12:23 PM   #4

You set White Balance by hitting Menu and selecting it from the drop down list
Old Apr 5, 2004, 12:22 PM   #5

To bad someone hasn't figured out how to transplant most of 10D features into the 300D. FEC is a step in the right direction...
davidc256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2004, 6:23 PM   #6
kvk

What are some of the other features it enables

Ken
kvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2004, 11:06 AM   #7

Looks like there's an even newer version. It places fec on the set button so you still have wb. Also, the red eye doesn't flash anymore.

http://jeanluc.free.fr/rebel/e3kr111noredeye.rar

:P
Rathman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2004, 6:49 PM   #8

I updated to the newest firmware "hack" and its by far GREAT! Works without a hitch and makes the camera's functionality 2x better!
Old Apr 7, 2004, 5:03 AM   #9

Any sign of it enabling Servo focusing...? Also if you did download it is there a way to completly wipe it from the camera if it dont work (or if you want to send your camera to be repaired )

Richie
Richie Hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2004, 9:27 AM   #10

AI Servo hack is pretty simple.

"What you need is a 3/32" mono plug. As far as I know it has to be mono. At Radio Shack this is part number 274-289 and it's $2.99 for a package of two. I took the plugs, removed the outer shell, broke off one of the leads and then used a metal loop from a set of keys to secure it to the neck strap on the camera.

So what you do with this thing is plug it into the remote switch socket on the side of the Rebel. When you do this the Rebel then thinks you've half pressed the shutter release. To actually take a picture you still have to press the shutter button, but the half press will stay in effect after each shot. What that means is that if you can get the camera to go into AI Servo, it will then stay in AI Servo as long as the plug is connected. So you can take multiple shots without having to pray the camera will switch to AI Servo on each one."