Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 30, 2002, 5:24 PM   #1

Default RAW v. TIFF Conversion

I download my D60 images first to a Digital Wallet and then to a computer. I haven't yet learned to use the Canon program because I usually need the capacity of the Wallet anyway.

Since my Photoshop 6.0 won't read RAW images, I immediately convert them to TIFF.

Am I missing some advantage by doing this?

Thank you for your comments.

Bob
Robert Eastburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2002, 12:23 PM   #2

Hi Bob,

I am not sure I understand the question.

What I have done is save my shots in RAW format, and then use the RAW converter to save to 16-bit TIFF (as a temporary file). I then read this in with Paint Shop Pro, and save as a Paint Shop Pro image.

What format are you using to take the picture? (JPEG or RAW?)

How are you converting to TIFF?

Judd
jspittler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2002, 2:15 PM   #3

Judd, I am shooting in RAW, downloading to my digital wallet when the card gets full, and then downloading the digital wallet to the computer later.

Unless I'm missing something, Photoshop 6.0 won't open these RAW files. That's why I convert to TIFF. I wonder if I am loosing something by not being able to work on the RAW images. If I downloaded directly from the card to the Canon program on the computer, I guess I could read RAW and, I suppose, do some manipulation, but nothing like Photoshop. I need to capacity of the Digital Wallet so I don't have to have so many CF cards.

Thank you for your comments,

Bob
Old Sep 1, 2002, 5:19 PM   #4

Oh, OK, thanks for the clarification.

Hmmm, now that you mention it, I guess I haven't yet dug into the bundled software to see what you can do.

I guess I feel fairly confident that converting to 16 bit/pixel TIFF is a lossless way to transfer images. The main question in my mind is whether Paint Shop Pro (and/or Photoshop) uses those extra bits.

That is a good question.

Judd
Old Sep 1, 2002, 11:33 PM   #5

Maybe we'll both learn something here.

I read somewhere, for example, that highlights don't block up as badly in RAW as in other formats. I don't know what the implications of that are if I convert to TIFF before processing.

Regards,

Bob
Old Sep 2, 2002, 12:17 AM   #6

One of the things that I believe you can do with the software for converting from RAW format is to do exposure compensation in the export. This would seem to be a great benefit if you have an overexposed or underexposed shot.

I think all you have to do is click on the button labeled "List for Development settings" iIn the "first" window, then click the icon that has the +/- on the left side of the resulting window. This lets you adjust exposure compensation. It seems like this would allow you to solve a lot of potential problems.

Judd
Old Sep 7, 2002, 10:14 PM   #7

Well, I did a little playing with exposure compensation when converting from RAW to another format (16 bit/pixel TIFF in my case). So far what I have noticed is that when darkening an image in this way, the resultant colors did not seem very true to life... Oh well, I guess I still need to try to get the proper exposure the first time