Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 11, 2004, 4:06 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL

Aren't all this photography stuff supposed to be fun
Quite right! And certainly a light weight all-in-one camera can help make it so.

David Y
Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2004, 2:09 PM   #12

Default I find I don't use the viewfinder info...

on my 10D, or at least no too much. I tend to shoot mainly landscapes and stuff that isn't moving very fast, I use the viewfinder mainly for composition. I use the LCD display to check my settings, then compose and shoot. I also tend to watch the display on start up to see what ISO and Parameter I am using. I still make the occasional mistake of not seeing what drive mode I am in, etc. But mostly, this works for me. I wonder if this is a carryover from my first SLR, or G2(my first digicam). My first SLR had no real viewfinder info except focus and exposure, I had to look at the dials for my settings, my G2 has no info in the viewfinder and I use the LCD all of the time.
eosthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2004, 4:07 PM   #13

Default Re: I find I don't use the viewfinder info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eosthree
I use the viewfinder mainly for composition. I use the LCD display to check my settings, then compose and shoot.
That is a good plan, I would like to do that if my eyesight were what it was 10 years ago. For me the benefit of the viewfinder is that the diopter acts as my reading glasses. Before age forty I could read the fine print on medicine bottles at 6 inches, now I can't focus closer than arms length. Too bad I can't just screw some extension tubes on my eyeballs so shorten my focal distance.

Happy Resurrection Day everyone!
David Y
Old Apr 11, 2004, 6:41 PM   #14

Default Uh Oh

Uh Oh, you are scaring me. I have somehow managed to make it to 42 with 20/20 vision. I find however it takes me longer and longer to focus on that small line on the eye charts. I fear I will have to come up with a new workflow soon.
eosthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2004, 7:58 PM   #15

I'm 47 and it's a humbling thing

of course your mileage may vary!
Old Apr 11, 2004, 8:22 PM   #16

I've actually been flirting with the idea of creating a check list that I hook to my camera strap. One for when I start the day ("do I have my CF card? Is the battery loaded and charged?" and similar) and one for a lull in shooting ("Check your ISO. Check your focus mode. Check your meter mode" and similar.)

Maybe I should ask for suggestions of what to put on that card.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2004, 3:47 AM   #17

Eric,

As I recall there was a fold up mini guide that came with the 10D camera and mine is in a compartment in the back of the bag. It has proved useful once or twice when my memry went blank as to how to set something up on the camera. (Old age again - like the eyesight going) :lol: :shock:
geoff.rio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2004, 3:40 PM   #18

Hi Eric,
That checklist could probably avoid some frustration -- provided one remembers to check the checklist.

Yesterday morning I took a few pics while setting up the sound system for our Easter Sunrise Service - about 4:00 AM. I used ISO 1600 for a few shots, then after the sun came up shot a few more (at ISO 1600) unintentionally. The shutter speed should have tipped me off but it didn't.

Having ISO in the viewfinder would have been nice.

Your checklist idea made me think about putting a sticker on the back of my camera were I would see it upon opening the bag reminding me to THINK about what I last shot. That seems to be what always trips me up: leaving it on self-timer, high ISO, etc.

David Y
Old Apr 16, 2004, 11:38 AM   #19

To Amateur:
I am almost 60 - try some Bi-focals. They help me a LOT! Of course, my left eye is weaker than my right, thus the prescription glasses.
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2004, 9:55 PM   #20

Thanks Railfire
I know it's inevitable that I graduate from these drugstore reading glasses to some real prescription glasses. It's just so easy to put it off.

David Y