Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 8, 2004, 3:56 PM   #1

Default Digital Rebel, Canon 10D or D70?

I currently own a Fujifilm S602 Z as well as a small Canon Powershot that I use for time when a small camera is needed.

I am ready to make the move into the DSLR world and start taking photos the way I used to before digital came along.

I would really like a camera that is pretty fast, so 2.5 FPS or better. It seems that for the price, the Digital Rebel and the Nikon D70 are in my price range, although if there was enough of a reason to spend a couple hundred more, like for the Canon 10D, I would consider it.

I take a ton of portrait stuff right now (a fair amount of Glamour), indoor (in a home studio) and outdoors. I also take a fair amount of action photos too hence the speed issues. Action wise, it is mainly martial art based, so things like kicks, throws, etc...

I am looking into getting some strobes for the studio (using hot lights now) and really am not sure which DSLR camera would best suit my needs.

I am hoping that you can shed some like on which direction I should go. Thanks in advance.

Note: I am not sure about the D70. I am not liking the reviews and photo samples so far. I am leaning more toward the Canon and seriously considering the 10D.

In all cases, I can probably only afford one decent lens right now. If I were to only get one (not taking into account that the D70 and Rebel have a starter lens) which would you all suggest?
Zendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2004, 4:58 PM   #2

Where to start . . . the 10D has a magnesium alloy body which is a bit more durable, although from what I hear from DRebel owners, the plastic body is nothing to sneeze at. The 10D and the D70 both have selectable metering modes - matrix, center-weighted, and spot - the DRebel's metering modes are fixed. Also they both have flash exposure compensation. Also they both have mirror lockup.
The canons both go down to ISO 100, the nikon to 200. The 10D has a sync cord connection for external strobes. It goes to ISO 3200.
The D70 syncs to 1/500 sec. I'm not sure if this is a true 1/500 or if it's just a gimmick like the Canon 1D had.
I guess this post is kind of jumbled but it boils down to - I would pick the D70 over the DRebel, and the 10D over the D70. If you're going to be doing serious studio work, it's worth the investment.
LTBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2004, 5:36 PM   #3

Thanks that helps a lot. If I were to go with the 10D, I would have to select a lens. Any suggestions?
Old Apr 8, 2004, 7:04 PM   #4

Lenses hmnnnn:

If your pockets are deep enough then #1 on your list should be the 28-70mm 2.8 L glass for most used focal ranges

wider lenses are $$$ in L glass if you do a lot of landscape photo's... Mid Telephoto the 70-200 L is also an incredible piece of glass.....
mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2004, 7:08 PM   #5

You might want to post that question on the lens forum but here's my thoughts:
We would all like to have a bag full of f2.8 L-lenses but that probably won't happen anytime soon. For a standard everyday lens I would suggest the 28-105 or the 28-135. For a telephoto I'd say the 75-300. I don't have any experience with non-canon lenses so I won't comment about them.
Also, If you plan on picking up a few more lenses down the road, check out what filter sizes they take. Try to get lenses that can use the same filters - that'll save a few bucks. You should definitely start off with a polarizer, a UV, and a soft-focus for your glamour stuff.
LTBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2004, 1:37 PM   #6

Thanks I will post in the lens area