Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 10, 2004, 11:25 AM   #1

Default Rebel exposure problems

Until recently my Rebel has worked very well, but when I purchesed the 28-135 IS lens, the automatic exposures are completely out of line. It seems the camera tries to use largest possible aperture and slowest possible time as soon as there is a lot of sunshine. The target is just laīndscape, so no moving target. If anyone is interested to give me expert's advice, I can email two pictures taken within one minute - the other is reasonable, the other is completely overexposed. The reasonable one was with 28mm (1/125 F7.1), the overexposed with 70mm (1/80 F5). I have a Hoya polarizer filter attached as well.
What's the problem - me, camera or lens?
petrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 10, 2004, 12:14 PM   #2

Depends. Can you provide a bit more information? What mode are you operating your camera in? What ISO are you using? Go ahead and post the pictures as the subject "may" have caused some issues.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2004, 1:41 PM   #3

Hi, I was using the "P" program mode - I would happily post my two reference pictures describing the problem - but I don't know how!
Old Apr 10, 2004, 1:43 PM   #4

O, I forgot, the ISO was 200....
Old Apr 10, 2004, 2:25 PM   #5

With P mode, the camera makes all of the decisions for you, much as a point and shoot camera will do. It has a tendancy to shoot at shutter speeds capable of handholding and whatever aperture fits. I would suggest learning to use your camera in either Av or Tv mode to give you better control of your camera. As to why one is exposed well and the other is not, I'd rather see the pics before commenting.

To post an image, you must upload it to another site then use the [img] tags to post it here as such: [img] www.yoursite.yourpic.jpg [/img] You don't use the spaces, but I had to insert them so it would come up as text rather than an error.
Old Apr 10, 2004, 2:39 PM   #6

OK Micah. I got the pics in email and the problem is that you were taking a picture directly into some pretty strong light. The refelctions on the water are overwhelming and fooled the exposure meter completely. In the first one, you were standing further back into the woods and the matrix mode of the meter captured a bit more foreground. Actually, the first one is underexposed on the trees and overexposed on the water and sky. You've just learned a perfect lesson on the problems of using a reflective meter to determine exposure when shooting into the light. It would have been very difficult to capture the scene you chose without using an ND filter or taking two shots from a tripod, one exposing for the shadows and one for the highlights then merging them in Photoshop.

Here's some reading on exposure that may help you some
http://luminous-landscape.com/tutori...exposure.shtml

Hope I helped.
Old Apr 11, 2004, 1:01 AM   #7

Ohenry!
thank you for the lesson, however it is only half the truth. Actually I was standing in exactly the same spot when taking both pictures. I coul send you other pictures taken directly into the woods with no reflections from sky, water or anything else showing exactly the same overexposure.
I never had such problems until starting to use the 28-135 IS lens.
You are right, when using the manual or "half manual" modes, the result is better, but still the question remains - why is this happening with this lens only and not with the 75-300 or 18-55?
Old Apr 11, 2004, 1:17 AM   #8

By standing further back, I meant zoomed out to include more of the foreground. In any case....

I have no idea why it only happens with the one lens.
Old May 13, 2004, 11:25 AM   #9

Hi again,

should anyone of you who tried to help me out on the exposure problem happen to see this post, it is just to let you know that I took the camera to the Canon repair shop and got it back again in perfect working condition. The verdict was: measruing recalibrated (software only), I was told the measuring system was completely out of order. Unfortunately nobody could explain why - so I never got to know what to avoid in future.....
Old May 13, 2004, 1:40 PM   #10

Glad it was resolved. Doesn't sound like anything you can do to prevent it if it was an internal issue. First time I've heard of this problem. Interesting. I read all the time about varying problems with the DRebel and the 10D re: focusing and other annoyances. Guess I was just lucky in that I have never seen any of these issues arise in my camera. Then again, I honestly believe that the cases of the camera or lens being the issue is far less often than the operator. Again, happy to hear your problem was resolved, but sure would have been nice to know the details. Oh well.