Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 12, 2004, 3:05 AM   #1

Default FRUSTRATED! DIGITAL REBEL EXPOSURE

Dear people. I have been going nuts trying to understand why my digital rebel will not let me set a manual exposure on my camera.

You can ether set the F-stop in which case the camearas spot meter will adjust the SHUTTER speed for you, or you can set the SHUTTER speed manually and the camera will then adjust the F-Stop to set the correct exposure value. What the [email protected]%K, i come from an old manual camera where i was able to control both the shutter speed and the aperature manually. Can you guys tell me if this is normal on the Canon Digital Rebel. And are will other more expensive cameras give me the ability to set every thing manyally ie. the 10D, or the D1. PLEEEEAZ help, i've been eternaly frustrated with this issue, Thanks much in advance

Arthur
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2004, 6:31 AM   #2
NHL

Turn the mode dial to M, the Digital Rebel will then behave like your old manual camera. Check page 72 of the manual, you can then use the exposure level -2..1..v..1..2+ as a guide to adjust both shutter and aperture:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2004, 9:49 AM   #3

Thank you very much for the advice. I found the instructions on page 72 as you suggested :-). You can tell i hate reading the manual. For situations where you dont have time to set the exposure manually, when you just have to turn and shoot, what is the best mode to shoot....?

much obliged

Art
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2004, 1:28 PM   #4
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan
Thank you very much for the advice. I found the instructions on page 72 as you suggested :-). You can tell i hate reading the manual. For situations where you dont have time to set the exposure manually, when you just have to turn and shoot, what is the best mode to shoot....?
Probably P you can still turn the thumbwheel to vary the shutter/or aperture...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2004, 2:10 PM   #5

I would recommend Tv mode if you're in a situation where you have to shoot quickly as you can have a preset shutter speed. If you have time to compose, then you have time to select both aperture and/or shutter speed.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2004, 4:32 PM   #6

I agree with O'Henry - I use the TV Mode always when I shoot - that means I select the Shutter speed & it selects the f-stop. This is also something I dislike not being able to do on the new lenses as opposed to the older style FD equipment - simply reach down & open up the lens 1/2 to 1 f-stop. It was VERY simple back then. The same from when I used to use my Sunpak 383 Super! Now everything is too automatic!
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote