Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 12, 2004, 11:39 AM   #1

Default Rebel Exposure questions, Help

I recently purchased a digital rebel, and am not as happy as all you rebel owners out there seem to be! After reading all your postings, I am sure, I must be doing something wrong! First of all, most of the shots I take in the Auto setting (The Green Box) seem to be too bright, as if the Flash was too powerful. Is there a way of controlling the amout of flash? Also is the metering different in the auto mode vs the AP mode? I took two pictures, one in the Auto mode, where the setting was 4.5f @ 60th of a sec, then I set the same setting in the AP mode...... There was a certain amount of backlight........ The picture in the AP mode, was more even and had more fill, where as in the auto mode there it was too bright. This leads me to believe that the metering changes in different modes? Can you control or choose the type of metering? All of this is a little annoying, because my Nikon 885 took better pictures compared to the Rebel auto setting!

And do you reccomend a particular setting for indoor shots? Where the Flash won't over power the subject, or is there a setting which sets the flash as a fill? Thanks........
ah1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2004, 4:35 PM   #2

I don't own the rebel, so I can't give you a direct answer.

One thing to look into is what the metering mode is when using what mode. I believe it changes. That could effect what it thinks is the right amout of flash.

Also, are you using the built in flash or an external hot-shoe flash?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2004, 5:07 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply Eric, I am using the built in flash, and the only reason why I bought this camera was to keep it as simple as possible, but with the hope that I would get sharper and better images compared to my little Nikon 885. That's not happening, so I can only think I am doing something wrong! Maybe it's too technical? Originally I just wanted more mega pixels!
Thanks
ah1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2004, 7:45 PM   #4

So it looks like you are using full auto mode.

Flash photography is not as easy as it looks. The camera has to figure out what the settings for the scene are, and then add light to enhance that scene.

Unfortunately the Digital Rebel does not have flash exposure compensation built into it.

You'd have to read the manual about what the differences are between the AP mode and one of the auto modes. There are differences, though. For example in the sports mode the camera is going to try to get a very high shutter speed (to stop the action of the sport.) But in landscape mode I bet it tries for a longer depth of field... which means a higher aperture and a longer shutter speed.

Also, I believe that the metering mode does change depending on the picture mode. You'd have to read the manual to see how they differ. This is one of the big differences between it an the 10D. The 10D makes the metering and automatic modes completely separate.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote