Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 13, 2004, 7:18 PM   #1

Default What to get DRebel 10D .....D70 hmmm

I am new to Digital SLR but not digital or SLR if you see what I mean. My subjects will be the usual shots of the kids in action and portrait plus an interest in architecture, lanscape and ultimately low light structures (building sites)

Well my thinking has changed since reading reviews and trying all three super cameras.

1) Drebel with kit lens (Silver) plus Canon 28-135 IS USM lens plus Canon EF50mm Mk II plus EF550 Flash and maybe some cash left over for editing software.

2) Canon 10D (a Dream?) plus Canon 28-135 IS USM lens plus Canon EF50mm Mk II 3rd party flash no money left!

3) Nikon D70 plus kit lens (not my favourite but beautifully made) with Nikon 50mm f1.8 and SB800 flash.

I think the first option is best as it is well within budget and allows more investment in lenses and flash. The Drebel would be enough to learn the ropes on and leave me an upgrade path to 10D or replacement as and when I out grow thr DRebel. My reason for the D70 is that it is so good to hold and offers so much to play with for a good price.... its just the images it produces are not to my eyes liking.

Any comments on my thinking or alternatives would be most welcome.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 13, 2004, 7:39 PM   #2

Don't underrate the DRebel. While it is missing some features found in the 10D, it is a fully capable SLR camera that can serve you well for a long duration. Unless you have a need for shooting rapid-fire sequential shots, you won't be limited by the capabilities of the DRebel. I've also had many years of SLR experience with both Canon and Nikon cameras and currently own the DRebel. My only real complaint with it is a small nitpicking thing -- I like to shoot in manual and the shutter speed and aperture adjustments are a tad bit awkward, albeit manageable. I see no reason for "ME" to upgrade to the 10D as the features aren't significant enough to warrant the increase in costs. Although I would love a 1Ds, I think I'll wait awhile and see what happens.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2004, 8:13 PM   #3

Not another thread of this again......
mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2004, 2:00 PM   #4

then why read it? If you dont like it go else where. I am new to this forum and posted here because generally people are rather more friendly than on other forums. I have read your rant elsewhere and just wonder why you bother? Dont be offended but we are not all as perfect as you and dont know everything there is to know... thats why we ask questions! All I was after was for others who have gone through this process to share their experience and to advise if there are alternatives etc. Whats wrong with that? I feel a counter rant comming on.

By the way thanks ohenry I did find your post useful and it does help. I think the rebel fits the bill I just need to find a a good deal on one now.
Old Apr 14, 2004, 3:21 PM   #5

Counter Rant:

I understand that .. all of it .... but when theres 10 threads constantly in the forum regarding the same question why do ppl feel the need to post the same exact question again and again and again ??

There is a little button here called: Search

It works wonders....
mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2004, 12:50 PM   #6

Frankly, I'm happy to see this every time it comes up as someone always comes up with a new angle or question. I've not made up my mind yet, though I am leaning toward the 300D.

People that complain about multiple posts remind me of the same people in my other hobby. Every time there is another article or book about the Battle of Gettyburg they complain. I have the same comment. Don't read it.
FSUScotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2004, 8:02 AM   #7

It seems that the choice of compatible software for raw files is also better with canon, although that can change. Its the choice of lenses and the IS in particular that are tipping the balance for me. I dont have a very steady hand and the IS seems a good idea. If I went with Nikon I would have to relly on 3rd party lenses as the nikon ones are rather expensive. not that that is a big problem.

So i need a good deal and some good weather. Then I can start asking all those how do I do this questions that everyone else has already asked
Old Apr 16, 2004, 12:50 PM   #8

I still think the Canon 10D is a much better camera than the D70, better built material, feels very solid and very good in your hand, esspecially with the battery grip attached (D70 has no option for the grip).

I have some great high speed Nikon high speed D lenses (AF-D 35-70mm F/2.8, AF-S 28-70mm F/2.8, AF-D 80-200mm F/2.8 and other great maunal lenses), and want to get a Nikon digital body to utilize these lens. The D70 seems to be a good candidate and fits the profile, but I can't understand to put the Nikon 28-70mm AF-D F/2.8 on the cheap plastic body and made somewhere in ThaiLand???(but the features in this burger are great) I'm going to hold out for the Fuji S3 to arrive...

Being said that, I'm a longtine Nikon Film camera's users, still enjoy the great F5, F100 and my Millenium edition of the Fm2, year of the dragon.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2004, 5:10 PM   #9

You should try the D70 it is VERY well built and is a feature match for virtually anything out there. The main thing though is to try it and see if the images it produces are to your taste. With the lenses you have it would be a shame to waste them.
Old Apr 17, 2004, 11:24 PM   #10

Default Re: This keeps comming up

I have been in many forums and yes for someone that has a Camera already you may want to pull your hair out. But you do not have to open the thread the title says it all. I was looking between the 10D, D100, 300D and D70. I loved the 10D but the cost was out of my price range as with the D100. I know this is a Canon forum but I did not like the feel of the 300D so that left me waiting for a D70. Since I have had Canon SLRs since 1975 not something I was happy with.
What keeps changing is now the cost of the 10D and the D100 are droping so the cost factor is less of an issue. So now the question is, is the 10D better then the D70. Since I like 10D better then the D100 IMO.
I think most of us newbees are over analysing and anything we get we will either love or hate but we want to make the best informed dession we can so if you are tired the question don't open the thread.
goodrich62 is offline   Reply With Quote