Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 14, 2004, 2:30 PM   #1
KSS

Default Feedback, Thought's Help!

I have finally narrowed my next purchase down to two cameras, The Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom or the Canon EOS 10D. I am stuck on which to choose. I am open to anyoneís feedback? Thanks.

Kevin
KSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 14, 2004, 2:36 PM   #2

I have the 10D and like it a lot.

I know nothing about the C8080, so I can't directly comment on it.

If you don't tell us how much money you are willing to spend or what you will use it for, it will be impossible to suggest one over the other.

To get the full potential out of the 10D, you need to spend a fair amount of money on lenses. This adds to the cost... potentially a lot.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2004, 2:39 PM   #3

Depends on what you will be primarily doing (Shooting), if your experience level warrants the 10D, and if you have finances to purchase upwards of $500-1000 on some lens's to get the most of your camera's potential.
mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2004, 9:55 PM   #4
KSS

Hi Thanks for the feedback everyone. To answer your questions, my skill level is enthusiast or above and moving to the next level. My use is for scenic, indoor and out door portraits, and an all around full service camera. My budget varies. I like everyone am looking for the better value. I am currently using an Olympus C2100UZ and love it. However, as you may know it is only a 2MP camera. My decision to look at single lens cameras was to avoid the lens situation, (i.e. Cost, Dust, and Convenience). Taking all into consideration, I am just looking for the best choice. I have read so many reviews that it has totally confused the decision process. That is why I have posted my message. When in doubt go to the source. Thank you all in advance for you input. Kevin
Old Apr 14, 2004, 10:19 PM   #5

If your experienced enough to understand the fundamentals and the intermediate aspects of photography you will be much better suited with a dSLR. The 10D is considered to be a great camera and its only *real* limitation for the vast majority of users is buffer size and frame capture rate. Unless you do a lot of sports/action photography youll be very happy with the resolution, color, metering and performance of the 10D.

One key point to take into consderation: Camera technology has grown exponentially in the past few years (Digital and Film). However, the quality of photographs produced has NOT.

Which lends itself to the basic fundamental premise that ultimately its the hands and the eyes off the photographer that produce truly spectacular photos not the hardware they carry. Sure an 8.5 frame per second EOS-1D Mark II with 8 Megapixel resolution makes it easier to capture exotic moments missed by many.... but when it comes right down to it ... you cant beat good old fashioned know-how with a fair amount of luck
mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2004, 10:41 PM   #6
KSS

Well said MRKRYZ, you make a great point. Thank you for the input.

Kevin
Old Apr 15, 2004, 8:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Camera technology has grown exponentially in the past few years (Digital and Film). However, the quality of photographs produced has NOT.
:lol: Good for a laugh.

Another thing to consider that many don't is the weight. A single lens camera uses a smaller sensor. This makes them cheaper, but it also allows the lens to be smaller. This makes those cheaper too... but it also makes them lighter and smaller.

I might own a 10D, but my girlfriend won't use it. When she saw a photography friend using a old Nikon 5000 she said "oh... I could see myself using that." Its small, less intimidating, has a very handy rotating LCD for framing..... Sure, the image quality is probably better out of my 10D (it had better be!) but I bet she could get shots with it that I couldn't with mine. And she'd carry it around more because itís convenient.

Another thing to consider is noise. Because the 10Dís sensor is larger, it allows for less noise in higher ISO pictures. This wonít effect your scenic or outdoor portraits, but it might effect your indoor stuff. Higher ISO means a higher shutter speed in low light. But it means lower image quality. I can use ISO 800 and often get acceptable results. ISO400 is good. Most/all cheaper cameras canít say that.

Eric
Old Apr 19, 2004, 12:17 AM   #8
KSS

Default Thanks Everyone

Thank you all for your input and help. It will now be easier for me to make my decision. I am new to this site and I have to say that I am impressed with the quality of people using this site. So nice of you all to take the time to help others and share your experiences.

Kevin
Old Apr 19, 2004, 8:06 AM   #9

KSS

Thanks for your kind words. It's the quality of the people here that keeps me coming back. Friendly and helpful... a refreshing change to most of the places I found (before choosing this one.)

Eric