Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 15, 2004, 9:52 PM   #1

Default D Rebel vs. Canon Pro 1

New to the forum, be gentle...

I am an experienced old-school "film" photographer/retoucher who suddenly has a need to pick up a digicam right-quick for an upcoming small job.

I have done my preliminary homework, narrowing the field to the Rebel and the Pro 1, help me decide if you can.

1. Initial use/Most important is small product tabletop photography (auto keys/keychains). Final images will be composited/retouched in Photoshop for print. Unsure as to whether I will use external strobes or hot lights.

2. Secondary use is everyday home use (family stuff)

3. I have also considered the Nikon 5700 because of the low price (550.00) but it seems wise to stay current.

4. Both sell for 1K & are available now.

5. Both general focal-length lenses included seemto fit my base needs, so additional lenses are not needed.

6. Pro quality sharpness & accuracy are needed.

7. Help Me

Thanks, Maxx
Maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2004, 10:17 PM   #2

If you don't have the need to get into changeable lenses, go with the Pro1. If you want the versatility of SLR and interchangeable lenses, the DRebel wins out.

Better resolution with the Pro1, but unless you're printing 20X30 prints or doing some serious cropping and blowing up of the image, you probably won't see that significant of a difference.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2004, 11:12 PM   #3

Steve, as in the owner of this site, made an interesting commentary earlier today when asked questions about the Nikon 8700 (the Canon Pro 1 equivalent):

Quote:
Steve posted:

All of the new 8MP cameras use the same Sony imager and all of them have increased shadow (low light areas) noise and show considerable overall image noise above ISO 100. I think that 5MP is really the limit for this size of an imager and the only reason they went to 8MP was because the marketing guys said that "More is always better as far as sales is concerned." But more seems to be just TOO MUCH as the image noise and chromatic abberation problems are more prevalent on the 8MP cameras than last year's 5MP cameras.

The 5MP cameras make gorgeous 13x19" wall prints and even larger if you have a printer that big. How much do we really need in the way of image resolution? I'd rather have a clean 3MP image than a big and noisy 8MP image !
Something to think about.
dcrawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2004, 6:39 AM   #4

None of the 8mp cams touch the dSLR's in quality. Sure there's two million more pixels, but the size of the chip is smaller, and the noise greater.

Just get the dRebel (or D70) you won't be sorry.
Polaris20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2004, 8:36 AM   #5

Default Re: D Rebel vs. Canon Pro 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxx
New to the forum, be gentle...

I am an experienced old-school "film" photographer/retoucher who suddenly has a need to pick up a digicam right-quick for an upcoming small job.

I have done my preliminary homework, narrowing the field to the Rebel and the Pro 1, help me decide if you can.

1. Initial use/Most important is small product tabletop photography (auto keys/keychains). Final images will be composited/retouched in Photoshop for print. Unsure as to whether I will use external strobes or hot lights.

2. Secondary use is everyday home use (family stuff)

3. I have also considered the Nikon 5700 because of the low price (550.00) but it seems wise to stay current.

4. Both sell for 1K & are available now.

5. Both general focal-length lenses included seemto fit my base needs, so additional lenses are not needed.

6. Pro quality sharpness & accuracy are needed.

7. Help Me

Thanks, Maxx
1. For that purpose, you need a true marco lens such as the Canon EF 100mm USM F/2.8, the Rebel will allows you to interchange the lens. The EF 18-55 is an OK lens for general purpose, not qualify as macro or quality lens, and for SLR, depend on how much you use your camera, you probably need to clean the CMOS chip at leat one a month to get the dust out. The 28-200mm L lens on the Pro 1 is a very good quality lens, excellent for macro at 28mm, but not great at 200mm.

2. Both work well in this senario.

3. Nikon just drops another $100 on the 5700 MSRP price, consider to the works you want to do, Pro 1 is a better choice.

4. Newegg.com have better prices for both, great services, fast free shipping from CA.

5. Not quite, the lens came with the Rebel ( 29-90mm @ 35 film)doesn't have the extended range such as the 28-200mm, you still need a 70-200mm and at least one macro lens for the Rebel.

6. You can depend on the Pro 1 to deliver these feature, same on the Rebel, but you have to buy additional lens, and for pro-quality lenses such as Canon L lens, they are very expensive.

7. Any time...

Note: I had many opportunities to play with all of the 5 of the new 8 megapix P/S cameras, in which my most favorite one is the Olympus C-8080, feels great in my hand, all functions repond properly, great slolid build and the results are absolutely outstanding, the lens is excellent, range is 28-140mm, fast F 2.4 to 3.5, filter size 58mm, and yes you can have both of them on at the same time (not on the Pro 1). Lower price, $798 plus free 2 years extended warranty (total of 3) at newegg.com, free shipping, rush service is $2.99 additional, you can check it out. My least favorite is the Nikon 8700, here is my ranking:

1. Olympus C-8080
2. Canon Pro 1
3. Minolta A2, this one have the best EVF
3. Sony DSC-828
5. Nikon Coolpix 8700
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2004, 1:53 AM   #6

Default Tough Choice

I'm more of an amateur and am asking the same question - 300D or Powershot Pro 1. There really needs to be some comparison that explains the real difference between these high end prosumer lines and the DLSRs. Whoever it was that posted Steve's comments - that's perfect - just what we need to know. What else is there though and how bad is it really? It would be nice to have a comparison.
xtaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2004, 2:46 AM   #7

Default Interesting note

Steve emailed me back on my choice between the Pro1 and DRebel. He included a picture of the sensors on the two. One is the EOS CMOS sensor and the smaller one is the one used in all the 8mp cams. Take a look. This ends my quandry on which will can give a better image. 99% of quality pictures is the user anyway but to get that extra 1% the picture may explain the difference.

Old Apr 25, 2004, 5:39 PM   #8

Default Re: Interesting note

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtaski
Steve emailed me back on my choice between the Pro1 and DRebel. He included a picture of the sensors on the two. One is the EOS CMOS sensor and the smaller one is the one used in all the 8mp cams. Take a look. This ends my quandry on which will can give a better image. 99% of quality pictures is the user anyway but to get that extra 1% the picture may explain the difference.

+1
that's all
civil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2004, 9:43 PM   #9

Default Got It

I bought a DRebel last week on Amazon.com for $899 with the lens (pricing error on their part). I love the camera and definitely think the rebel is a much better camera. I tested them both out at a Ritz camera before buying and the Pro1 just didn't sit right with me.