Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 17, 2004, 5:13 PM   #1

Default Mark II

Anyone get there hands on the Mark II yet?

April is the month right?
johnearp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2004, 9:16 AM   #2

Most of the people here are amatures that won't spend over $2000 USD on a camera, let alone $4,000 USD. I can think of one person who has a Canon 1Ds.... and he hasn't been posting recently (pitty, he's good.)

Combine that with the very limited supply of this camera and I would be surprised if you see someone here with one... ever? At least not for many months.

I'd love to get one, but I think that money would be better spent on a lens good.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2004, 10:51 AM   #3

it seems the official release is supposedly this week. of course it will dribble in to keep the initial inrush buying spree profit margins high. i'll wait until the fall when the "gotta have it first" bunch is done feeding on it. i have had the opportunity to play with it. it will be a winner. it will clean off a 2gb cf card an mere seconds and the AF is fast. i'll stick with my 1Ds too because they are both fairly different in scope. it is an excellent sports camera. i just wish it was as light as a D2H.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2004, 11:04 AM   #4

sjms, good to see you posting!

I wondered if you'll get one. I'd love to, but I think a 600mm will be a better investment. I'll miss the better AF the Mark 2 would give me, but I think I want to hold out at least awhile.

Eric
Old Apr 18, 2004, 11:23 AM   #5

i shoot mostly wide and not so long. my limit will probably be around 400mm. you will miss it (the AF) especially with a 600 shooting birds. less hunting. the camera weight difference is rather dramatic too.

my birding shots:

http://www.pbase.com/image/27855679
http://www.pbase.com/image/27874865
http://www.pbase.com/image/27875331

my work is taking me in and out a lot lately. for now i'm on the ground till at least june.
Old Apr 18, 2004, 6:53 PM   #6

Very nice birds.

Any chance you'll get up to Maine to Kayak? I'm thinking of doing two weeks myself. I've got the vacation time saved up... the problem is convincing work that I can take it.

Eric
Old Apr 18, 2004, 8:29 PM   #7

we're looking at Hawaii this summer as a family trip this year. we have done 2 yrs up north and my daughter wants a little something different. the big trip is next yr, NZ for 3 wks during their winter our summer. the rolling camper on this one.
Old Apr 18, 2004, 10:50 PM   #8

I know some kayaking places out there too, if you care. I know someone who has gone there several times. Mostly (exclusively?) southern end. Beautiful place.

Hawaii is very nice. My parents have been many times (dad worked on some buildings to house telescopes down there, so he got sent there for work.)

I'd love to get over to NZ some day. But first I need to find a doctor that can help me fly. I get violently ill... sucks, really.

Eric
Old Apr 20, 2004, 9:32 AM   #9

haven't worked out all the island details yet. lots of confusion as to who what where when how. only the why is complete. thanks.

there has been an adjustment on the due date for the M2. adjusted date is now May 23 give or take 3-4 months :shock: :lol:
Old Apr 22, 2004, 8:00 PM   #10

the new wonder toy seems to have arrived.