Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 19, 2004, 8:05 AM   #11

If you view the CF card directly do you see the THM files there as well? When I look... oh, wait. They are there too. So it must not be copying them.

I just did the renaming trick and it does work, but its way to small. It really is the thumbnail. I want the embedded jpg. Basically, I'm trying to find the fastest way to judge sharpness.

That focus window sounds nice. What sounds like it would do what I want.

A 4 second deplay to generate full resolution is around what I get with PS CS's RAW converter. If you include the time to zoom in 100%. And you can drag it around without loss of speed (unless you drag it really far in one shot, then it seem to have to think abit before catching up.)

Still, I might just download the demo when I have some time to try it.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2004, 8:25 AM   #12

Which size jpg did you select when shooting RAW?
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2004, 9:37 AM   #13

I left it the default, so I believe that is the largest. But I don't actually know. It wasn't a thumbnail sized, which the .thm was.

Eric
Old Apr 19, 2004, 10:00 AM   #14

For some reason, I always thought that the .thm file was the embedded jpg. Guess I never really looked into it much as I've pretty much always shot RAW with the DRebel and you didn't have a choice (until installing the hack update).
Old Apr 19, 2004, 12:41 PM   #15

Eric,

How big are your RAW files? My guess is that the throughput of your harddisk is the limiting factor. Get a raid card and two fast harddisks, and stripe to get double the throughput.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2004, 3:12 PM   #16

The RAW files are <quick check> between 5 and 6.3MB.

I actually have a very fast hard disk, but only one.... so that could make a difference.

Does anyone know how to extract the jpg from a RAW file?

Eric
Old Apr 19, 2004, 11:29 PM   #17

Eric,

That is surprisingly small I think. Maybe your HD is not the problem. When you open the RAW file, monitor the CPU usage and see if it shoots up to 100%. If it does it might be that Adobe's RAW plugin is not very efficient. Just guessing here!

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2004, 12:00 AM   #18

Two things can help speed up CS .... 1) reduce maximum ram usage to about 60% (play with this to get the optimum value for your computer), 2) assign the scratch disk to a disk drive that Windows isn't using (I know you only have the one so this won't work)
Old Apr 20, 2004, 12:18 AM   #19

I'm not running out of ram by a long shot. I'm using about 500-550MB. But I'll reduce it and see what it says.

I have run low before and it does slow down. But not like this, its generally fast, but a bit slow while opening up (and in converting RAW to JPG, but I expect that.)

Oh, wait. You have a P4. Does it support hyper-threading by chance? (a newer P4.) PhotoShop CS is optimized for both hyper-threading and SSE2. Neither of those are in the Athlon.

I have seriously though about adding a fast small disk just for PS swap... but that certainly seem excessive for the problem.

Eric
Old Apr 20, 2004, 8:00 AM   #20

Ok, I did a check. I'm pegging the CPU at 100% both when loading and when converting the RAW. So if I want to speed it up, it's clear what I need to do.

Good suggestion, barthold. Should have thought of that myself.

Eric