Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Apr 27, 2004, 11:56 PM   #11

I seem to remember that the cheaper version doesn't set the color temp either correctly or on some monitors before doing the calibration. If you've already set it correctly (i.e. what it expectes.) then it doesn't matter. And that the more expensive software version doesn't have this problem.

But I could be remembering wrong.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 5:12 PM   #12

In the cheaper version you'll have to set the color temp on the monitor, the software then reads it through the spyder, and shows you a bar-graph how close you are to the correct temperature. You repeat this process until you get it right. Seems to work fine for me.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 7:14 PM   #13

That makes sense, assuming your monitor has a setting that can change the color temp in increments. (I know I can chance mine to several presets, but I don't know if I can change it incrementally... just as an example.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 10:30 PM   #14

Yes, that is how it works. First you pick a pre-set color temperature , and then you fine tune that. Pretty much all monitors allow you to fine tune by changing the intensity for all three RGB cannons together. Slightly more expensive monitors allow you to change each R, G and B channel separately. The latter is preferred if you want to get the best color match.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote